Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to find a soldier

nickyp

Wow - the knowledge on this board is amazing - Dick you are a godsend to people who are looking for answers.

I am searching for my grandad (same as everyone else), he would never speak about the war to my mum, and she did not know that he had been awarded a medal until I found it online.

That said, it does not give a lot of info:

Medal card of Davidson, Leonard Victor

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery L/15383 Gunner

Royal Field Artillery L/15383 Gunner

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/5

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Cooke W E - Denham W

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Number of image files: 1

Image Reference Format and Version Part Number Size (KB) Number of Pages Price (£)

181123 / 16348 PDF 1.2 1 324 1 3.50

How do I find out his regiment, the battles he took place in or any other info? I know that lots were destroyed by the Luftwaffe - but I am hoping and praying that someone has some info. Here is a photo of my grandad.

Thanks so much, I am in Canada and it is hard to find info except on the net.

God bless

Nickypost-2271-1146768434.jpg

Nicky,

Being a London man and with that number there is a strong possibility he was with the 33rd Div.

Roop

To obtain the copy of the actual index card you will have to pay£3.50 GBP{by Credit Card}or hope a Forum Member can spare the time to obtain it for you whilst they are already there,the info you have given is merely the details that the MiC listing shows,from that the Medal roll & possibly a Silver War Badge,if discharged wounded,etc;may be obtainable It is possible that his Papers may survive @ the NA{though as you correctly state a high %age were destroyed by Air Raids in WW2;

Good Luck

To obtain the copy of the actual index card you will have to pay £3.50 GBP{by Credit Card}or hope a Forum Member can spare the time to obtain it for you whilst they are already there,the info you have given is merely the details that the MiC listing shows,from that the Medal roll & possibly a Silver War Badge,if discharged wounded,etc;may be obtainable It is possible that his Papers may survive @ the NA{though as you correctly state a high %age were destroyed by Air Raids in WW2;

Good Luck

To obtain the copy of the actual index card you will have to pay £3.50 GBP{by Credit Card}or hope a Forum Member can spare the time to obtain it for you whilst they are already there,the info you have given is merely the details that the MiC listing shows,from that the Medal roll & possibly a Silver War Badge,if discharged wounded,etc;may be obtainable It is possible that his Papers may survive @ the NA{though as you correctly state a high %age were destroyed by Air Raids in WW2;

Good Luck

Good Luck