Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers

Guest Tessy

Hi I'm new so forgive any faux pas.

I'm hoping there is a photo attached to this post - if not I'll try again. The photo is of some of the 19th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers Pioneers in France/Belgium WW1 - where or when I have no idea. I hope you like their headgear!

My grandfather is the sergeant standing on the extreme left of the photo. He is Sgt George William Smith Reg. No 81. I only know that the man sitting in front of him is a relative, family name Warren. It would be nice if anyone could identify any of the other men.

My question is this : My grandfather was sent to the U.K. for Commission 7.7.18. The story he told my father, as a young boy, was that when an officer passed out they had to ride down the steps of a building on a horse. Does anyone know where he would have gone to train to be an officer? We know the war ended before he went back to France but do not know if he completed his officer training. Is there any way of finding out if he did pass out? My father thinks he did but it's a long time ago and we can't be sure.

Thanks in advance

Tessypost-12346-1146761961.jpeg

Hi, Tessy. Yes - nice photo!

Can't help an awful lot, but the bit about horses riding down the steps is somethign (I think) to do with Sandhurst. Not having been priveleged to go there myself (lance corporal, TA, personally) I don't know for sure, but there are ex-officers (and serving officers) out there on the Forum, so I'd hope one of them would chip in.

As for Sergeant Smith being commissioned, he may well have been. I reckon the National Archive at kew would be a good place to start, as officers' records are pretty good and will probably be there if he was commissioned.

Regarding training for his commission, mostly done (I believe) at Officer Training units in UK - for example at Cambridge University colleges - but how you find out when and where I have no idea.

I know this hasn't bee terribly helpful, but as no-one else has picked it up, I thought this might sort of kick-start it for the experts to come in.

Welsome to the Forum, and I hope you find all you want here.

Steven

Hi Tessy

This maybe your grandfathers mic, there are a number of george w smiths, this is the only one listed as a sargent in the Northumberland's that I could see. You can download the card from the the web site at Kew for £3-50, Good luck

Regards Phil

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/searchthearchives/

Description Date Catalogue ref Details

Medal card of Smith, George W

Corps: Northumberland Fusiliers

Regiment No: 19/81

1914-1920 WO 372/18

Thanks for the help Steven and Phil - I'll follow up on it.

As for him going for a commission, it's definate he did - he told my Dad about it and Dad has a book called the Historical Records of 19th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers which was printed in 1920. In the personal notes of each serving soldier my granddad has this entry.

Reg. No.: 81

Rank on Embarkation: Corpl. Smith G.W. (M.S.M.)

Latest known Rank: Sergt.

Remarks:To U.K. for Commission 7.7.18

This may suggest he didn't finish his training before the war ended and he was demobbed as his latest known rank is listed as sergeant. And speaking to my Dad he says he was told that he had ridden down some steps on a white horse - may be romatic tosh of course but I'd love find out where he trained.

Best

Tessy

Tessy

You may be interested to know that in addition to the Medal Index Card Phil has pointed you towards your Grandad has a second card.

This one, unlike the first MIC which was for General Campaign Medals, is for the Meritorious Service Medal.

Again costs £3.50 to download and link to it is Here

There will be an entry in the London Gazette for this award.

Regards

Steve

Tessy

Can you tell us what the London Gazette date is? Somebody on the forum should be able to find the entry pretty quickly then.

Steve

Steve

The Gazette date is 17th June 1918. But what is the 'Gazette'?

London Gazette. Official publication containing details of promotions, awards, etc - hence term "Gazetted" when referring to a medal or promotion, commission, etc.

You're starting to enjoy this, aren't you? ;)

London Gazette. Official publication containing details of promotions, awards, etc - hence term "Gazetted" when referring to a medal or promotion, commission, etc.

You're starting to enjoy this, aren't you? ;)

Steve et al - if the Gazette gives details of commissions would it give details of someone going for commission? My granddad was sent to the UK for commission on 7.7.1918 according to the battalion historical records and I'm trying to find out where he would have done his training. We presume the war ended before he completed his training as his latest known rank was that of sergeant, yet he told my dad of having to ride a horse down some steps on passing out - any help on this would be appreciated.

Tessy