Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grimsby Chums

auchonvillerssomme

Grimsby Chums.

I have a postcard dated 03/06/15 on the front it has pictures of Alderman Tate, Mayor of Grimsby but also Lt Col The Hon GE Hemeage, Major Bennet, Major Howkins, Capt Vignoles, Capt Stream, Lt Pratte. What is the significance of those particular officers?

Mick

mick,alderman tate was the father of the chums,kitchener appointed him to act in his name and raise a new batt for the lincs regt,stream was a capt in the OTC and headmaster of grimsby municipal college,he helped tate to raise the batt and eventually became a major in it,Lt pratte was also in the OTC at the college and became a capt with the batt vignoles eventually became the CO of the batt in 1917,he was formerly 1st lincs RGA,his fellow officer in the RGA was capt bennet,he had retired and became a magistrate but returned to become the batts act and temp commander,he brought with him from the RGA major howkins and vignoles,these two men were the eletrical engineers in the borough and brought electric lighting to the town,col heneage was a retired ex royal north lincs militia officer,these men formed the top brass of the original chums,bernard

ps,your picture must be from the first weeks in aug 1914 because Lt pratte was a capt in late 1914,bernard

mick,alderman tate was the father of the chums,kitchener appointed him to act in his name and raise a new batt for the lincs regt,stream was a capt in the OTC and headmaster of grimsby municipal college,he helped tate to raise the batt and eventually became a major in it,Lt pratte was also in the OTC at the college and became a capt with the batt vignoles eventually became the CO of the batt in 1917,he was formerly 1st lincs RGA,his fellow officer in the RGA was capt bennet,he had retired and became a magistrate but returned to become the batts act and temp commander,he brought with him from the RGA major howkins and vignoles,these two men were the eletrical engineers in the borough and brought electric lighting to the town,col heneage was a retired ex royal north lincs militia officer,these men formed the top brass of the original chums,bernard

ps,your picture must be from the first weeks in aug 1914 because Lt pratte was a capt in late 1914,bernard

There is unfortunately no senders name but it was sent from Brocklesby, There is a date of Oct 1914 printed on the picture. I will scan it or try to take a pic.

Mick

Hope this works

Mick

• 4 years later...

Brocklesby was the training camp in the grounds of Brocklesby Hall.

Roop

Does anybody know the exact place where the Training Camp was? I asked at Brocklesby Hall, but they have no records dating that far back. On my travels around Lincolnshire, I believe i have found a wooded area on the Brocklesby Estate which contains lots and lots of trenches, and believe they may be the training area for trench warfare. Unless the exact position can be found, the woods will remain hidden.