Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

official Haig photographs

Clive Harris

These photographs were turned up in a loft just down the road from me, the owner advised me that he had no idea who they were off or why he had them. They were taken by a family member who served in France with No6 Advanced Army Photographic and Stationary Section.

On close examination I believe they were taken in September 1917 when Haig & William Robertson attended the Anglo/French Conference held in Bolougne. Other forum members may correct me but I have not seen them in any books before. There are 20 in total of various scenes but I have scanned in 5 that maybe of interest.

No1 shows Haig meeting with Willy Robertson(?) with a lady behind in the hat that looks like Lady Haig. The sign for the E.F.C. behind makes reference to the CapeCure area of Bolougne.

post-456-1146688083.jpg

No 2 shows Haig meeting with French heirachy on the railway station, anyone recognise them?

post-456-1146688506.jpg

No 3 Shows a selection of senior British officers (General Horne on the far left?) the sign board above them in interesting in that it refers to "officers must employ official porters wearing official brassards only"

post-456-1146688822.jpg

No 4 is a cracker, it shows the official party arriving to a joint reception of a French & British Guard of Honour complete with military bands. Tommies line the rooftops and hang from railway carraiges to catch a glimpse of the top brass. You can actually read 40 Hommes & 8 Chevaux on the side.

post-456-1146688990.jpg

Finally my favourite shows a number of staff officers boarding or waiting to board a vessel on the quay side. The young chap having his pass stamped has left his attache case on the ground momentarily. Under a looking glass I could make out the name C.F. Force, a quick look on the Medal Index Cards show a Lt CF Force, Staff Officer.... I can't wait to get to the PRO and look up his service records.

I hope they are of interest to some of you :)

post-456-1146689387.jpg

Clive those are truely brilliant, that one could be Horne, looks like his stance and coat but not quiet facila features but that may be the way the photo has been taken.

many thanks

Arm

Graet pictures, Clive. I'm surprised at how handsome Haig is - from what I've heard on the GWF, I was expecting horns and a tail!

Marina

:lol:

Graet pictures, Clive. I'm surprised at how handsome Haig is - from what I've heard on the GWF, I was expecting horns and a tail!

Marina

I think his tailor manages to hide them within the cut of his jib!

Excellent find by your neighbour Clive.

Thanks for sharing

PS who d'ya fancy for your next boss down at the Valley??

Truly great - unposed - who says the Great War is researched to death???

Top class job.

Hi Steve, regarding.....

PS who d'ya fancy for your next boss down at the Valley??

Im quite excited about it all really, Curbs was a legend but its time to move on, I thought he left with great dignity from both the man & clubs behalf, a rare thing nowadays. He will always receive a first class reception in SE7. For the furture, Martin Allen from Brentford, Mike Newell from Luton or an "old sweat" to hold fort whilst Chrissy Powell gets his coaching badges... for the next few weeks its a break for us all and COME ON ENGLAND (unless your scots or welsh I suppose) ;)

Thanks to everyone for thier kind words on the photograhs, I thought they were wonderful, the chap George Moorcraft is in his 90's, my wife Ali met him and they got on the discussion on the Great War, he wants me to keep hold of them for when my son George (8 months) is old enough to understand, at which point he tried eating them, so its a little while yet!!

Thanks for posting these, superb photos and certainly out of the ordinary. Haigh looks relaxed in some of them and is even smiling; shows another side of him perhaps?

The guy facing in No 3 and again centre of No 5. Robertson? Great shots. Why don`t you offer to go and clean out his attic, Clive? :) Phil B

post-2329-1146751432.jpg

No 3 Shows a selection of senior British officers (General Horne on the far left?) the sign board above them in interesting in that it refers to "officers must employ official porters wearing official brassards only"

Don't think it's Horne, as gazing at his cap badge for an age, it looks like the Lion over the Crown - a Staff Officer's badge - rather than a General Officer's badge.

And I agree - what a find!

Having studied all the photos at larger size its not Horne and I dont think its Wully either, though it is similar for both!!

regards

Arm

Great pics... do you know any more about the photographer?

Andy

Alas I don't Andy, though the chaps father was an RE, Iknow they did the cartography during the war but not sure about the photographic side. They were obviously intended for press release but were "souvineered" by someone at source. I would love to know more about the other characters, who they were etc. I was thinking of looking at the town majors diary for Bolougne next time at Kew they may have a few references to the event. One more of Haig on board a cross channel steamer perhaps,

post-456-1146773064.jpg

• 4 weeks later...