Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt John Pearson Herbert Hall.

Bob Coulson

Bit of a long shot but does anyone have any info on this officer KIA Nov 1st 1918.

Grateful for any help.

Bob.

Hello Bob

I can fill in some of the family background, but nothing else.

John Pearson Herbert Hall.

Birth registered Q3/1891, Stockton, Co. Durham.

Son of John Pearson Hall , an engine fitter (born abt. 1860 in Spennymoor), and Agnes Hall (nee Martin, born abt. 1850 in Brecon, Wales), brother of Agnes Ann Hall, born 1885, Pontypridd.

John Pearson Hall had married Agnes Martin in Pontypridd in 1884.

In the 1891 Census the family lived at 53 Camden Street, Stockton.

By the time of the 1901 census, the family were living at 34 Trent, Stockton.

That's all, I'm afraid

From the London Gazette 21-7-1917.

21st July, 1917.

REGULAR FORCES.

The undermentioned cadets to be temp 2nd Lts. (attd.). 27 June 1917: —

INFANTRY.

North'd Fus.—

John Pearson Herbert Hall

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

Stephen and Steve,

Many thanks for the info, it all helps to build up a pen picture.

He is on Middlesbrough War Memorial so the Stockton connection fits in well.

Bob.

Stephen and Steve,

Many thanks for the info, it all helps to build up a pen picture.

He is on Middlesbrough War Memorial so the Stockton connection fits in well.

Bob.

Hi Bob

I have a book (my grandfather was in the 19ths NF)- The Historical Records of 19th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers printed in 1920 - in it 2nd Lieut. J.P.H.Hall has these remarks:

Joined Battalion in France 18.8.17 and was killed in action 1.11.18. Buried in cemetary at Marcke, Belgium.

I've just borrowed the book from my dad and I haven't read it yet but it has accounts of all the recruiting and the action the 19ths saw, as well as a list of all soldiers, their rank, medals, commissions, those who died and how, and where they are buried etc etc. It has some photos in it one of which is of the officers of the battalion in 1918 but the page with the names is missing. I'm posting it with this but the 600 pixels limit means it'll probably be quite small and without the names it'll probably not help but at least it's out there.

Anyway hope I've helped

Tessypost-12346-1146825960.jpeg

Bob

Officers names as follows under headin

Officers of the Battalion November 1918

Back Row : Lt E H D Grimley, 2Lt T B Willis, 2Lt J E Andrews, 2Lt W C Rutherford, Lt C W Scott.

Third Row: Lt J I Willis, Lt J I Airley, Lt E O Pretheroe, M.C. , Lt W I Thompson, Rev W H Small C.F.

Second Row: 2Lt J G Fairburn, Lt M Guthrie, M.C. , Lt L E Marr, Lt W Brooks, Lt F J Dennett, Lt & Qr.-Mr J F McNeice.

Front Row: Capt A Stabell,M.C. Major H S Dawson, M.C. Major B. E. Sharp, Lt-Col C Hancock D.S.O. Capt and Adjt C H Cooke M.C. Capt A A Pocock M.C. Capt C E Wilson M.C. RAMC.

Peter

Bob

Officers names as follows under heading

Officers of the Battalion November 1918

Back Row : Lt E H D Grimley, 2Lt T B Willis, 2Lt J E Andrews, 2Lt W C Rutherford, Lt C W Scott.

Third Row: Lt J I Willis, Lt J I Airley, Lt E O Pretheroe, M.C. , Lt W I Thompson, Rev W H Small C.F.

Second Row: 2Lt J G Fairburn, Lt M Guthrie, M.C. , Lt L E Marr, Lt W Brooks, Lt F J Dennett, Lt & Qr.-Mr J F McNeice.

Front Row: Capt A Stabell,M.C. Major H S Dawson, M.C. Major B. E. Sharp, Lt-Col C Hancock D.S.O. Capt and Adjt C H Cooke M.C. Capt A A Pocock M.C. Capt C E Wilson M.C. RAMC.

Peter