Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card interpreation

Guest colinjoan

Guest colinjoan

Please can anyone explain the remark next to Victory Medal section of MRC " Medals claimed by Admiralty on the 5th A My great grandfather served with RMLI when he was injured and rtd to UK and then <_< Guards Machine Gun Regiment. He died in 1930 so we've been unable to get more info or know of whereabouts of his medals.

Many thanks

I don't know if this of any help but it appears that some of the record keeping by Portsmouth RMLI was of a poor standard -

Unlike the Chatham & Plymouth R.M.L.I. service papers, which are stored at the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton, are very complete & filed in their original service number order, the Portsmouth R.M.L.I. service papers are stored in the ADM/157 class at the National Archives (PRO), are incomplete & resorted into year of discharge/surname order. It is unknown who was responsible for the "weeding" of the Portsmouth papers, nor their resorting into year of discharge/surname order, but the plain fact is they are severely dunuded of useful "active service" information, & the resorting was rather poorly completed, many papers being misfiled & many more being missing.

(Army Form B.103 & RND Card Index)

They are missing from 90% of all Portsmouth papers. Without these forms nothing can be found about an individual's movements, sickness, UK Leave or postings whilst serving with the R.N.D.

Best of luck.