Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On Tower Hill Memorial but died 1920 at sea

Guest BarbaraT

Guest BarbaraT

I have a mysterious Grandfather by the name of George Grant who died 1920 Trawler hit by mine?

This is all some kind person has discovered for me:

Name: GRANT

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine

Unit Text: Steam Trawler "Lindsey" (Boston)

Date of Death: 10/09/1920

Additional information: Husband of Rose Grant, of Tooley St., Boston. Born at Grimsby.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL.

I have a picture of him and his brother in Navel uniforms which I am trying to identify. As I live in New Zealand it is a little hard to know where to search. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :D

Barbara - I have never looked at Merchant Seaman records so I cannot help you there but if you remind me next week (PM me on Tuesday) I will be happy to take a photo of his name on the Memorial for you if that would be of use to you. If someone else can oblige a photo before then all the better.

Welcome aboard Barbara,

Regarding the father, his name would probably be recorded on the son's birth certificate. Copies of birth certificates are available from Somerset House, I believe, although you may not have have sufficient info. to specify the one you want. Do a google for Somerset House and see if they list the requirements.

Best wishes with your search

David

Guest BarbaraT

Thank you I have my Fathers birth certificate which lists his father as George Grant Rank/profession: Gashouse labourer. The photo I have, has both my Grandfather and his brother Jack/John in two seperate uniforms no date or information except who they are. I thought if I can track one or the other but I am not knowledgeable about uniforms. I will read up about putting a picture up. I have an Uncle also on a Memorial who died in the war aged 22. I believe he was from Cleethorpe. It was a mine that got his ship too.

Guest BarbaraT

I have been and read about the Trawler Lindsey. Thank you Terry. I have emailed Newlands and have a reply from the Archives. The files are sealed for 100 years but I could get some information which I am sending for. I will try looking for some newspapers and see what was reported in the 1920.

Barbara

if you can narrow down his details with date or place of birth, the you can search for his service register online. These are in ADM 188 click on that link to search the RN seamans registers. The search will only bring up service details if he was in the Royal Navy.

BMD has a George Grant who married Rose Thompson at Grimsby 1907.Volume 7a Page 1494. If these are your relatives the wedding certificate would be useful.

Guest BarbaraT

Thanks Myrtle I found that and am waiting for the certificate. Hoping that it will give some information. My Auntie is the only one alive now and she was 4 when he died so she has no memories except at Newlands orphanage. Her Mother would not tell her anything about her Dad.

I have done a search ADM 188 site if I can find he moved to sheffield I would have a hit.