Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd bn DLI

tomick

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this site & the info I would like to is where was the 2nd bn DLI, Xmas 1914/Jan 1915, my great uncle a James Diston was killed on the 8 Jan 1915, aged 27, all I know he is commerated on the Ploegsteet Memorial near the present Ieper Belgium, I believe this used to be Ypres, there is no record of a battle at that time, any info would be gratefully recieved

many thanks

... where was the 2nd bn DLI, Xmas 1914/Jan 1915, my great uncle a James Diston was killed on the 8 Jan 1915, aged 27, all I know he is commerated on the Ploegsteet Memorial near the present Ieper

A few years ago, I did quite a bit of research into 2/DLI and all other DLI battalions raised during the First World War. Recently, another Pal asked about 2/DLI during 1914, for which the attachment was put together. This has been taken from a draft manuscript and the period of time you're interested in is covered at the very end although there's nothing specific about January 1915. There was no battle, as such, during that month, and I think it'd be reasonable to say that the battalion will have still been in the Frélinghien area... it's not far from Ploegsteert, in the Armentieres sector. Anyway, hope it's of help.

David T.

2nd_Battalion__DLI___1914.doc

A few years ago, I did quite a bit of research into 2/DLI and all other DLI battalions raised during the First World War. Recently, another Pal asked about 2/DLI during 1914, for which the attachment was put together. This has been taken from a draft manuscript and the period of time you're interested in is covered at the very end although there's nothing specific about January 1915. There was no battle, as such, during that month, and I think it'd be reasonable to say that the battalion will have still been in the Frélinghien area... it's not far from Ploegsteert, in the Armentieres sector. Anyway, hope it's of help.

David T.

Thanks very much for the info, it makes it a little bit clearer now, as to what took place in those terrible days, it seems as though James was unlucky enough to fall victim to a sniper.

To all who gave their lives in that great terrible war, I for one salute you.