Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham Light Infantry MM Recipients

jaygee303

Hi All,

This is my first posting here so apologies in advance if I have overlooked information easily available elsewhere.

I am looking for some information on three MM recipients who served in the Durham Light Infantry during WW1. My main question is this: is it possible to tell from the date their MMs were gazetted exactly where their respective battalions were deployed? Is there a reference book/website on this subject?

The three servicemen concerned are:

54060 Sjt. Cecil Bertram Booth 19th Bn. Durh. L. I. (LG 11 February 1919) (from Sheffield)

46643 Pte. Arthur Jackson 15th Bn. Durh. L. I. (LG 7 October 1918) (from Byker, Newcastle)

(also 21/817 L/Cpl 23rd Bn. North’d Fus. )

200022 Sjt. Matt Robson 5th Bn. Durh. L. I. (T.F.) (LG 18 July 1917)

(also 1347 WO Cl 2)

If anyone can tell me anything at all about these men (however small), or knows the whereabouts of any of their medals I would be eternally grateful.

I am also interested in locating a BWM and Victory pair named to Second Lieutenant G. E. Reed also of the D. L. I.

Many thanks.

Jason

There is no solid rule to how long it takes for an MM to reach the Gazette. Delays in recommending, or reviewing said medal recommendation throw all sorts of spanners in the works.

In general, up to early 1918, a delay of 3 months was not far off the mark in most cases. After that the average delay extended, though there were still quick announcements,too.

Using the rule of thumb and a little experience:

Robson, probably at Arras during April 1917?

Jackson, possibly May-June 1918, maybe at the Aisne?

Booth, possibly Aug-Sep 1918, maybe at Ypres?

For Robson's MM these men with 5th Battalion numbers were also awarded the MM in the same Gazette:

18-Jul-17 / 200554 Pte. T. Boal, Dur. L.I.

18-Jul-17 / 200570 Pte. P. Ketch, Dur. L.I.

18-Jul-17 / 200034 Cpl. F. H. Merryweather, Durh. L.I.

They may well have won their MMs for the same action.

Sorry I can't give you anything concrete, but I hope this helps,

Steve.

Thanks Steve. That's certainly a good start for me.

If anyone has any more info about any of these lads, please drop me a line here any time.

Jason

Jason

Contact Steve Shannon at the DLI Museum, I believe there is a website for the museum.

I've trawled through my DLI books with no success.

Steve is a busy man but will help if possible.

Sean

Thanks for your help Sean. I'm just starting out with researching the DLI so that's very helpful.

Cheers,

Jason

Jason

Contact Steve Shannon at the DLI Museum, I believe there is a website for the museum.

I've trawled through my DLI books with no success.

Steve is a busy man but will help if possible.

Sean