Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy: Help please

Psmith24

Trying to track down Royal Navy war dead of Padstow, but not having much luck at the National Archive. I have Coastguard or Boatman A. E . Cole; Coastguard PO R. Cornock; PO2 R. Dale; Leading Stoker Richard Edgcombe K/1768 on HMS Defence who died 31/05/1916; Able Seaman W.C. Hore; Coastguard F.J. Neale; Chief Petty Officer W.H. Rosevear; Surgeon Lt. Edwin John Gostwyk Sargent; Stoker First Class J. Stone K/18080 on HMS Blake; Signaller A.J. Williams and George Douglas Wood, Midshipman. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Peter,

Hope this helps;

Name: SARGENT, EDWIN JOHN GOSTWYCK

Initials: E J G Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Surgeon Regiment: Royal Navy Unit Text: H.M.S. "Topaze" Age: 25 Date of Death: 25/06/1918 Additional information: Son of William Gostwyck and Hilda Sargent, of Polyphant House, Padstow, Cornwall. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Face A. Memorial: KIRKEE 1914-1918 MEMORIAL

Name: ROSEVEAR

Initials: T Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Chief Stoker Regiment: Royal Navy Unit Text: H.M.S. "Vivid." Date of Death: 20/03/1916 Service No: 172298 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Naval Con. C. 3878. Cemetery: PLYMOUTH (WESTON MILL) CEMETERY

Name: CORNOCK, RALPH ERNEST

Initials: R E Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Able Seaman (P.O., C.G.) Regiment: Royal Navy Unit Text: H.M.S. "Monmouth." Age: 44 Date of Death: 01/11/1914 Service No: 142188 Additional information: Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Son of Mrs. Charles Cornock, of Bear Packers Almshouses, Wotton under Edge, Glos.; husband of Mrs. Ralph Cornock, of La-Bassee Cottage, Potters-Pouch, Wotton-under-Edge, Glos. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: 1. Memorial: PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

His Service Certificate is here costs 3.50

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

Name: HORE, WILLIAM COURTENAY

Initials: W C Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Ship's Steward Assistant Regiment: Royal Navy Unit Text: H.M.S. "Cressy." Age: 19 Date of Death: 22/09/1914 Service No: M/1598 Additional information: Son of Philip Henry and Henrietta Hore, of 11, Ferndale Rd., Hoylake, Cheshire. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: 6. Memorial: CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

His Service Certificate is here costs 3.50

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=9

Regards Charles

Thanks for that. If the Cornock you have is the right one, that makes two Padstow men that were lost in the Monmouth.

Peter,

I would think that is your cornock he was a POCG before returning to the RN. Not too sure on Rosevear though.

Regards Charles

Hi Charles, I've just been studying Cornock's papers and there is a mention of Padstow. Though not born in the town he may well have been lodging there (possibly with the other Padstow casualty on the Monmouth) prior to heading for the Chilean coast

Peter,

The coastguard connection is strong was there any coastguard accomodation that may be the connection. And the citations on the CWGC site where put on well after the war and they could well have moved back home. Was the other Monmouth Casualty in the coastguard?

Regards Charles

Cornock's papers indicate that he was lodging at several other locations prior to the last Padstow entry (Lynmouth, Minehead etc). Not sure if there was any coastguard accommodation at Padstow, though seems likely. Several other Padstow men among the war dead were coastguards too, though not the other Monmouth causualty. Was it usual for coastguard men to find themselves on warships? I don't know much about the role of that arm of the service in the Great War. Have you any info?

Peter,

The Coastguard was another branch of the Royal Navy, an easier life and allowed to serve longer, to get in you had to be a good man, here are some of the entry requirements;

A seaman whose character has been assessed as “V.G." during the last four years and who has not been previously awarded a lower character than " Good," whose ability for the last five years afloat is " V.G.," and who has completed ten years of continuous service, is eligible for entry in the Coast Guard, subject to the following conditions:

a. He must be recommended by his Captain on form S. 233.

b. He must possess at least one good conduct badge.

c. He must not exceed 37 years of age.

d. He must be able to swim.

e. He must be prepared if necessary to execute a re-engagement for continuous service to complete time for pension, such re-engagement commencing on date of execution. He must be able to read and write.

f. He must have a good knowledge of semaphore and Morse (by day and night) and a fair acquaintance with flags and their meanings-naval and international codes.

All Coast Guard men are liable to be embarked in turn for such cruises as the Admiralty may appoint, and if found unfit for active service at sea, they will be discharged with such pension or gratuity as they may be entitled to from their service.

A Coast Guard man when embarked will retain his actual or equivalent rating ; but when discharged into a sea-going ship for misconduct; or at his own request, he will be rated A.B., unless the District Captain shall note on his transfer list that his original rating afloat was superior to A.B., and that he is worthy of being allowed to resume it, when he is to be rated accordingly.

Looks like your man was a volunteer for war service as he is rated Petty Officer in the Coastguard but Able Seaman onboard the Monmouth.

Sorry I have gone on…

Regards Charles

That's brilliant. Tells me everything I wanted to know re Coast Guards. It's just the sort of detail I need. Please don't hesitate to add anything on any of the topics on this string if you think it is of interest. I'd be fancinated to learn about your sources...

Name: COLE, ALBERT EDWARD Initials: A E Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Able Seaman (Ldg. Boatman C.G.) Regiment: Royal Navy Unit Text: H.M.S. "Monmouth." Age: 42 Date of Death: 01/11/1914 Service No: 145887 Additional information: Son of William Cole, of Henbury, Bristol; husband of Ann Ellen Cole, of 3, Bridge St., Cemaes Bay, Anglesey. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: 1. Memorial: PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL [he fits the name, but i can't see a connection with Padstow]

Name: Dale, Richard Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Petty Officer 2nd Class Regiment: Royal Navy Unit Text: H.M.S. Canopus Age: 49 Date of Death: 28/04/1915 Service No: 133488 Additional information: Son of William and Mary Dale, of Padstow; husband of Mary H. Dale, of Barry's Lane, Padstow, Cornwall. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 1 and 2. Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL [Gallipoli]

Leading Stoker Richard Edgcombe K/1768 on HMS Defence who died at the battle of Jutland

Stoker First Class Stone, John Edward K/18080 on HMS Blake (destroyer depot ship)

Name: WILLIAMS, ALFRED JAMES Initials: A J Rank: Leading Signalman Regiment: Royal Navy Unit Text: H.M.S. "Monmouth." Age: 25 Date of Death: 01/11/1914 Service No: 236410 Additional information: Son of Joseph and Amelia Williams, of Padstow, Cornwall; husband of Bessie Williams, of 23, Tollox Place, Laira, Plymouth. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: 2. Memorial: PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

click on the names to get to the service registers.

no match for a W.H. Rosevear on the ADM 188 index, could he have been in the RNVR?

RN Officers records are not online and as a rule of thumb, if they were born in 1900 or after, have not been released yet, I've not seached for an RNR officer of that age. This might be your man Name: WOOD, GEORGE DOUGLAS HARRY Initials: G D H Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Midshipman Regiment: Royal Naval Reserve Unit Text: H.M.S. "India." Date of Death: 08/08/1915 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: 13. Memorial: CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

Monmouth was a Plymouth ship, so would have had a lot of reservists from Devon and Cornwall aboard.

Thanks for the extra names. Cole's papers show he does have a Padstow connection. Though not a local man he stayed in the town prior to joining Monmouth. Another non-local who went down with the ship also stayed in the town, probably in Coast Guard accommodation. Their names, along with that of a Padstow-born Monmouth man, are on the local memorial. Bizarrely, the name of Williams, another local lost in Monmouth, does not appear on the memorial.

PS: The men's Navy papers have many abbreviations I don't understand. I'll post them, to see if anyone has any ideas.