Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Fusilier

Dawson

Hi,

This is a photo of Sam Hilton who lost an arm at Third Ypres seving with the 1/6 th LF.

But what is the badge on his lower arm?

Hope someone out there can help.

Ian.

Maybe it's a photo of the missing arm?

Could it be a proficiency or efficiency star?

Territorial Efficiency Star

Mick

Lovely photo Ian, definately a Territorial Force Efficiency Star, the Battalion Flash on the upper arm is nice to

Worn on the left could be for judging distance etc.

Thanks for all the info.

Sam joined the 1/6th in Egypt in early 1916 most probably as a draft to replace the losses at Gallipoli. Did the later drafts have the brass shoulder titles rather than the red cloth diamond?

Also would he have got that medal if he'd joined on the outbreak of the war?

After going to France in early 1917, I'm guessing he lost his arm on September the 6th when the Battalion attacked Borry Farm.

Thanks again

Ian.

Dawson,

my great grandfather was killed on september 6 1917 at Borry Farm, I think about 59 other men died that day. Another chap on the forum, IceBell, reported his relative was severely wounded at Borry Farm also on that date.

Shelley

Thanks for all the info.

Sam joined the 1/6th in Egypt in early 1916 most probably as a draft to replace the losses at Gallipoli. Did the later drafts have the brass shoulder titles rather than the red cloth diamond?

Also would he have got that medal if he'd joined on the outbreak of the war?

After going to France in early 1917, I'm guessing he lost his arm on September the 6th when the Battalion attacked Borry Farm.

Thanks again

Ian.

Ian,

He would have worn both the metal shoulder titles and the cloth patch. The shoulder titles were a regimental device....and the cloth patch a divisional identification device...issued by the 42nd Division. The Territorial Efficiency Star would most likely have been issued for pre war service...it was not a medal....merely a device to denote that a TF man had completed a qualifying period of efficient service.

Rgds

Tim