I am trying to find info on him

He died 21st May 1915

What is listed in your diary

Charles brothers enlisted after his death

Any Gladwinfields listed in your diary

Thanks

Graeme

Dear Graham

Looked at War diary for 7th Kings but no Gladwinfields, this is quite usual.

Are you based in Liverpool ? If not I could look in our local history archive at Central Libary, they have copies of Liverpool Echo ect which can be quite useful.

On your other point 1/6th (rifle) Btn The Kings (liverpool Rgt) T.F. landed in France at Le Havre on 25th Feb 1915 and joined 15th Brigade, 5th Division.

If you need any local (Liverpool) help just let me know.

Reguards Paul.

Paul,

I have attempted to answer Graham's queries which he seems to have posted in parts over three topics. You may be interested to read my answer to his query which I have lodged in units and formations. By the way what is your interest in 1/7 KLR?

Joe Devereux

Joe,

I have just had a look at your more than comprehensive reply to Grahams question and could add nothing futher, indeed it makes my reply look positivly thin.

My intrest in 7th Kings? My Great Uncle Thomas Edwin Bebbington served in D coy, the story is he volunteered the day war broke out, but I`ve not been able to prove that, his medals were given to me a a boy and that was it HOOKED, I`ve been collecting and researching ever since.

Thanks for the message I`m quite new to the site so it`s good to be involved, now a question for you are you the Joe that knows my cousin David Irving from Halewood, he often mentions a Joe in relation to The Kings? Just athought.

Best wishes

Paul

Paul,

Do you have a number for your Great Uncle as I would like to add him to my database? Did he transfer out of the Kings?

I am indeed a friend of Dave's - we came across each outher through a mutual friend and thence via Dave's work on the Halewood war memorial. Nice to have made contact with you.

Regards

Joe

• 2 months later...

Paul,

Could you please look up the actions of D company around January 1916?

My grandfather (Robert Bell) was Company Sergeant Major for D company

7th KLR and was given a clock by his men on the occasion of his wedding in

January 1916 so I was just curious as to where he was around that time.

I have his medals (just the standard ones) at home - finished the war as Warrant

Officer - but know almost nothing else about him. I can get his number from the

medals next time I get chance but wondered if you could find anything purely

by name. I've look through the main site and traced the path of the 7th but don't

know when my grandfather joined it.

7th Battalion King’s Regiment was part of the 55th Division (Liverpool Brigade)

04 Aug 1914 – Mar 1915 then the 2nd Division (6th Brigade) 12 Mar 1915 – 4 Sep

1915 then 2nd Division (5th Brigade) 04 Sep 1915 – 11 Nov 1915 then

7th Division (22nd Brigade) 11 Nov 1915 – 7 Jan 1916 then 55th Division

(165th Brigade) 07 Jan 1916 – 11 Nov 1918. As you can imagine, this takes in

a lot of potential actions but I don't know which ones actually involved him.

Thanks in advance for any information you (or anyone else) can provide.

Frank

DEAR FRANK,

JAN 16 IS A BIT OF A THIN TIME FOR 7th KINGS, FROM 1st TO 6th THE BATT IS AT WARLUS WHICH IS A LITTLE TO THE WEST OF ARRAS, THEY THEN MOVE TO NEUVILLE-AU-BOIS, SOUTH OF ABBEVILLE ON THE 7th, THE WAR DIARY NOTES NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY BATTALION TRAINING, BATHING, COMPANY PARADES ECT. NEW DRAFTS OF MEN ARRIVED ON 1/1/16 (46) AND ON 16th (30) THE LATTER END OF THE MONTH WAS TAKEN UP WITH FOOTBALL, ROUTE MARCHES, COMPANY TRAINING AND CHURCH PARADES.

I YOU RELITIVE WAS MARRIED AT THIS TIME I WOULD SUSPECT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AN IDEAL TIME FOR HIM TO HAVE BEEN GIVEN LEAVE. THE 7th WENT BACK INTO THE TRENCHES ON THE 15th FEB AT BEAUMETZ, MARBOEUF SECTOR RELIEVING THE FRENCH 81st INFANTRY.

HOPE THIS HELPS ANY FUTHER QUESTIONS DONT HESITATE

REGUARDS

PAUL

DEAR FRANK

SORRY WRONG LOCATION FOR WARLUS ITS NOT THE ARRAS ONE ITS THE ONE SOUTH OF ABBEVILLE. ALSO FORGOT TO SAY MY GREAT UNCLE WAS D COY 7th KINGS.

PAUL

Thanks Paul, the "out of line" location makes sense for the timing of the wedding.

I don't know when my grandfather enlisted but the inscription on the back of

his 1914/15 Star was "Sjt. R. Bell" while the War Medal and Victory Medal rims

showed it as "W.O.CL.2. R. Bell" (Warrant Office 2nd Class which, I gather from

other threads in this forum, is the later designation for Company Sergeant Major).

Would the War Diary show when he was promoted or is that sort of thing held

elsewhere?

Assuming he joined as a Private, I guess there would be at least four promotions

in his career (Pte -> L/Cpl, L/Cpl -> Cpl, Cpl -> Sjt, Sjt -> CSM/WO2). Are these

"low-level" promotions recorded or just designated in the field?

Thanks,

Frank

Paul, Could I trouble you for entries around and including 31st July 1917? I shall be retracing the 55th Div attack on the first day of Passchendaele on my next battlefields tour and am trying to accumulate as much 'primary' material as possible. I shall pay for the cost of photocopying etc.

DEAR MARK,

AS WITH THE PREVIOUS NOTE THE DIARY IS A LITTLE BRIEF LIEUT COLONEL POTTER DIDN'T SEEM TO LIKE GOING INTO TOO MUCH DETAIL.

1st JULY THEY MOVE TO WESTBECOURT AND ENGAGE IN COMPANY TRAINING,

6th JULY THEY MOVE AGAIN TO MORINGHEM AN BEGIN BRIGADE ATTACK PRACTICE AND BATTALION TRAINING.

21st MOVED TO B CAMP VIA St OMER AND POPERINGHE, IN THE EVENING A & D COYS TO DURHAM REDOUBT, B COY TO RAMPARTS AT YPRES, C COY TO PRISON VICINITY YPRES. 22nd-25th PROVIDED WORKING PARTIES.

26th RELIEVED 5th KINGS AT POTIJZE SECTOR.

27th-28th HOLDING FRONT LINE SYSTEM.

29th RELIEVED BY 5th KINGS.

30th MOVED INTO ASSEMBLY POSITIONS.

31st OPERATIONS. SEE ATTACHED OPERATION ORDERS AND NARRATIVE. (I DONT HAVE THESE AS YET)

1st-2nd AUG POMMERN CONSOLIDATION AND HOLDING THE POSITION TAKEN ON 31-7-17.

3rd AUG RELIEVED BY BTN OF R.I.F. EARLY IN THE MORNING.

HOPE THIS WILL DO,

PAUL

REPLY FOR JOHN HARTLEY

DEAR JOHN,

ALL THE DIARY SAYES IS, "WORKING PARTIES. BATTALION MOVED TO HUTMENTS IN GOUY. RAID ON GERMAN TRENCHES BY SPECIAL PARTY."

THIS ENTRY IS MARKED AS THE 28th OF JUNE 16.

29th WORKING PARTIES AND TRAINING.

30th " " " " .

LOCATION IS JUST GIVEN AS TRENCHES.

NEXT TIME I GO TO THE RECORDS OFFICE I WILL LOOK TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY FUTHER NOTES.

PAUL.

• 2 months later...
Paul

Charles Gladwinfield was in 1st/6th Kings liverpool

I am trying to find info on him

He died 21st May 1915

What is listed in your diary

Charles brothers enlisted after his death

Any Gladwinfields listed in your diary

Thanks

Graeme

1/6TH FORMED IN BARRACKS UPPER WARWICK ST 4/8/14

CHARLES GLADWINFIELD ENLISTED IN LIVERPOOL AND RESIDED IN EVERTON

PTE 2129 KIA 22/5/15

• 3 years later...

Sorry if this thread is too old to follow up?

I am very interested in the war history of my paternal grandfather - HH Swaine, Pte 2319, 9 Platoon, C Company, 7th Liverpool Reg.

He was severely wounded (resulting in leg amputation) on 18 May 1915 at the Battle of Festubert. Anything in the war diary for the Festubert action and preparatory weeks would be very interesting. I have a copy of his (very scant) personal diary which records mostly whether he was "digging trenches" and "in reserve" but also indicates sporadic action in early April prior to the Festubert action.

I would also be interested in the names of his platoon leaders. His diary record for 18 May 1915 (presumably not ad hoc!) states "“hit with lime fuse on leg below knee. Mr Patt bandaged". For completion I would like to determine who "Mr Patt" could be and I posted a topic on this recently and received a lot of helpful comments from forum members. The consensus seemed to be that Mr Patt was most likely have been his Platoon Leader. There was no "Patt" serving at that time so it may have been a shortened form of Pattison / Pattenden or the like?

Any help gratefully received.

Harry