Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Anderson, Medal Cards

EtnischeNederlander

Hello all,

You may remember a few weeks ago, I posted a topic concerning info on an ancestor, Alfred Anderson.

Well, I've discovered his medal cards...and suffice to say, I'm having great difficulty reading them.

From what I can gather, he received two decorations: the first in France, in August 1914 (so one of the very first to join up!), which is located in the top-right hand card;

And then, on the middle right card, the British Victory Star which he received in Egypt (it says he received it on the 25th June....but we can't read the year!)

Any information on what the numerous abbreviations and numerals mean (especially in the bottom left card!) is greatly appreciated, and this Forum's got the knack of never letting me down!

Also, can someone please explain this: if, as the card states, he was one of the first to join the Regiment, in 1914, why then was he still a Private by 1918???? I mean, I wasn't expecting him to be a senior NCO or anything, but at the very least a Lance-Corporal.

Thank you very, very much in advance!!

This has been my hardest task yet, to decipher all these abbreviations!

Alex.

Alex

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the Medal Index Cards you've downloaded are for SIX different Alfred Andersons, do you know which one of the six is definitely your man?

Steve

Alex

I've found your other post so the Medal Index card you're interested in is the one attached, you can discard the other five.

Steve

Alex

Interpretation of the MIC is as follows:

Alfred Anderson enlisted as a Private in the Territorial unit the 14th/London Regiment (London Scottish) and was given the service number 5491. He was subsequently renumbered 512188 in the same battalion as part of the renumbering of the Territorial force at the beginning of 1917.

As there is no entry in the 'Star' section, nor entries in the 'Theatre of War first served in' and 'Date of Entry therein' it is safe to assume he first went overseas after 1st January 1916.

He was awarded a pair (British War Medal and Victory Medal), the reference TP14/101B/3 Page 242 is the Army Medal office reference for his entry in the actual Medal Roll which is held at the NA, Kew. The reference can be translated there into a WO329/XXXX series number which will be the Medal Roll covering the entry. This may give his actual dates of service overseas.

The exact meaning of the other Army Medal Office references in the 'Remarks' section are sadly now unknown, however it does appear that in this instance the medals were returned for 'adjustment' under Paragraph 1743 of King's Regulation in what looks like 21st July 1923.

Hope this helps.

Steve