Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Repro CEF badges

182 CEF

I have seen the Pals mention the large amount of repro British WW1 badges out there, however I just saw a few poor repros of CEF badges on the English Ebay site.

They have the wrong finish and anyone should be able to see they arn't right. They are being sold as "unknown if original"

Most CEF badges are still avalible for a fair price ( OK so you will have to sell the house to get a set of Boyles MG collars with real gold dust in them) most of these repros are not uncommon.

Gotta wonder why

Dean Owen

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Market forces mate!

In recent months CEF memorabilia has become like gold dust. One reason could be because of the completeness and easy access of records, I don't know.

One thing I do know however is that a close friend of mine who is a noted dealer has told me to buy what I can now and sell as little as possible in the way of medals & especially death plaques as he predicts in 5 years time the market will enter a drought. And as for 2014, he remember what happened to the market in the 1960s with the Centenary of the American War of Independence!

Ian

Market forces mate!

In recent months CEF memorabilia has become like gold dust. One reason could be because of the completeness and easy access of records, I don't know.

One thing I do know however is that a close friend of mine who is a noted dealer has told me to buy what I can now and sell as little as possible in the way of medals & especially death plaques as he predicts in 5 years time the market will enter a drought. And as for 2014, he remember what happened to the market in the 1960s with the Centenary of the American War of Independence!

Ian

I didnt think it could get any worse...sounds as though the market will still be climbing?

Reading things like this makes me glad that I started collecting twenty years ago, and NOT today. The reality is I could never afford my own collection in todays market!

80% of my collection includes complete sets: with memorial plaques and crosses. I was buying plaques when dealers and collectors never wanted them. One dealer advised me to stay away from them, saying: '...they would line the interior of my coffin, as no one will ever want them.' Was he ever wrong!

I must agree David. I just thank my lucky stars that most of the 1914 Star groups I have picked up in recent months have come through trades. One would have to have very deep pockets indeed to begin a serious collection here in the 21st century! Most of us have other little things, like food, mortgages,etc., to deal with.

Not to be a stickler but I think it was the Centennial of the Civil War.

I agree with the ever-increasing prices particularly for Trio's both casualty and non it makes it more and more difficult to collect.

One nice thing for beginners though is single British Victory, War Medals and 1914-15 Stars are not totally unobtainable. One can put together a nice collection (relatively!!) inexpensively. US victory medals are much more expensive than they used to be but they are still within the budget of even beginning collectors. Most divisions can be purchased for under $90 or so if you're patient. State and local service medals have really jumped in price but they still aren't out of reach.

contemplating a second job,

Neil :rolleyes:

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Not to be a stickler but I think it was the Centennial of the Civil War........

Its not a word we use that much this side of the pond I'm afraid.

Ian :P

Hi Ian,

A stickler is one who stickles :blink:

Just kidding, it refers to one who insists i's are dotted and t's crossed.

Of course you could have meant the Southern War of Independence in which case I Would have been showing my regionalism!

Take care,

Neil

Am I right in thinking that someone was 'suckered' by a series of utter fantasy CEF RCA badges which had numbers in the centre of the piece instead of the details of a wheel? I've seen line illustrations in books, but am not sure if they were ever produced as tangible badges (bet they were if they appeared in a book...).

I heard that these never existed, but were speculatives produced by a... well, you do the reckoning!

There is a complete set of these on display at RCMI in Toronto so they must have some "History" I have been told that these were made at the end of or Shortly after the war. Again, some command a very high price from well known Collecters and Dealers.

Perhaps someone with more info can expand on these CEF ARTY numbered and named badges.

Dean Owen

Guest A Mafia Man

So which reference book would be considered to be the 'bible' as far as the CEF badges are concerned ?

I ask as I am just starting to look at these badges for a collection & any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Joe

The best person to contact would Be Chris Brooker out of Washington State. He sells on the US ebay site under the name cgbrooker. I remember Chris years ago at military shows in Toronto. He comes across some of the rarest CEF badges around. Just go to the US ebay site, hit "military" and punch in CEF. Check out the CEF badges for sale until you see the seller listed as cgbrooker. You can contact him that way. I am sure he can direct you to the best book on the badges as well as give you info on the ARTY badges. I do know that someone in Coburg is reproducing the Coburg Battery Badge, but he sells them as repros. I am sure that in time ( with a little help in the aging dept) some of these will be sold as real.

Dean Owen

I agree with the ever-increasing prices particularly for Trio's both casualty and non it makes it more and more difficult to collect.

One nice thing for beginners though is single British Victory, War Medals and 1914-15 Stars are not totally unobtainable. One can put together a nice collection (relatively!!) inexpensively. US victory medals are much more expensive than they used to be but they are still within the budget of even beginning collectors. Most divisions can be purchased for under $90 or so if you're patient. State and local service medals have really jumped in price but they still aren't out of reach.

contemplating a second job,

Neil :rolleyes:

You are so right. With the 125th of the Civil War the items went through the roof ( I collect some US Civil War Items) The price seems to go up with these anaverseries (?) but rarely comes down. CEF prices went way up (as did Canadian General Service Medals) when Charltons put out their price list in the 80's. CEF prices are not as bad as they once were, however they can seem a bit high. I think that there is a growing interest in WW1 here in Canada so I would expect the prices to rise.

On an odd note, The Royal Canadian Legion that one of my Historical Societies holds it meetings in has a great display of Canadian Military badges. The WW1 section has some of the rarest badges around, including a matched pair of Boyles MG Battn Collars with the Yukon Gold dust. Someone decided to steal a few badges from one of the cases. The badges taken were 3 or 4 WW2 British Corp badges!!!, The only British badges in the cases, the common stuff. Thank the Gods that the thief didn't know what was there.

Dean Owen