Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

27th Field Ambulance RAMC

eltoro1960

My Grandfather served in this unit from Late 1914 until the end of the war. I recently found a picture of his unit and a picture of him at this website which follows a comrade of my late Grandfather progress through the Great War.

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.com/~hoddy/

I have tried contacting the author of the site without success (dead e-mail link) and I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction to contact him, or any other information on 27th Field Ambulance would be greatly appreciated.

I know that they were attached to 9th Infantry Division as I have a picture of my Grandfather with my Great Uncle Charlie who was in the Seaforth Highlanders

Thanks

Attached image(s)

My Grandfather served in this unit from Late 1914 until the end of the war. I recently found a picture of his unit and a picture of him at this website which follows a comrade of my late Grandfather progress through the Great War.

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.com/~hoddy/

I have tried contacting the author of the site without success (dead e-mail link) and I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction to contact him, or any other information on 27th Field Ambulance would be greatly appreciated.

I know that they were attached to 9th Infantry Division as I have a picture of my Grandfather with my Great Uncle Charlie who was in the Seaforth Highlanders

Thanks

Attached image(s)

The 27th Field Amulance was attached to 26 Brigade of the 9th (Scottish) Division. They were a New Army Unit and arrived in France on 10th May 1915. I have the battles and engagements in which they took part if you do not already have them.

BJay

I have some of the engagements but would welcome any information at all ..thanks

All the information I have on the Unit is their battles and engagements throughout the war and a list of the medals awarded to the unit. If you send me a PM with your email address I am happy to send you an attachement.

The war diary for this Unit is held at the PRO, reference number WO/95/1758.

There is also a book which might be of interest called The Road to St. Julien, The Letters of a Stretcher-Bearer from The Great War. The book contains letters William St. Clair sent home from the front lines. He served throughout the war in 27 Field Ambulance.

I hope this helps.