Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone out there researching the LEINSTER Regt?

lindaberrington

Hello everyone.

I am trying to research my grandfather and wondered if there's anyone out there who is also researching his regiment?

His name was Thomas Connor. (his descendants are all known as the surname O’Connor but for some reason he enlisted and was known as O'Connor - but perhaps it happened sometimes that names were written down incorrectly?) He enlisted in Ireland (republic)

I have what’s left of his form Z.21. It says that he enlisted as a Private on April 29, 1915 in the Leinster Rgmt (Regtl. No. 4421). Served in Salonica, Egypt and France? (not sure if he wrote it or official did as the handwriting is different in various places on the form) He served for 3yrs 8 months and was transferred to the Reserves in April 18, 1919 to the Royal Irish Regiment (regtl. No. 21505).

I have a copy of his index card from the National Archives it has the medal info at the top right hand corner of the form. It gives the corps as Leinster 4421 and Royal Irish Regt 21505. Theatre of War as 2b Balkans and qualifying date as 10-8-15. It also has Class Z AR (transferred to the reserves?)

I would love to research actual documents that still may exist at the National Archives but I am located in the US so there is no way that I can at this time, visit in person. I therefore wondered if there are any other members who could do this for me on one of their missions (I will pay a fee - whatever it costs)?

Also, if you are currently researching the Leinster's or have any info on them I would love to hear from you.

Thank you.

Linda

Hello Linda,

Your man was more than likely in the 6th Leinsters. The campaign entries in his demob form would point to this. If the date of entry in his MIC is correct, he also served at Gallipoli. The 6th Leinsters were part of 29th Brigade, which in turn was part of 10th (Irish) Division. My granduncle was part of 6th Royal Irish Rifles - another battalion of the 29th Brigade. The Brigade landed at Anzac Cove, Gallipoli on the 6th of August.

The 6th Leinsters (along with the rest of 10th (Irish) Division) were moved to Salonica/Serbia in early October 1915.

To confirm that he was in this battalion, you need to get someone to look up the medal rolls in the National Archives in Kew - sorry, I can't help you as I'm in Ireland.

Regards,

Liam.

Thanks for your response Liam.

I really appreciate you giving me the info on the Leinsters. It is a step closer to where my Grandfather possibly served.

I will try to find someone who can look up the medal roll for me (I'm now living in the US so can't do this until next year at earliest)

Thanks again and finally, one of the few sayings I remember from my parents (who originated from Dublin): "Ceud mìle fàilte"

Kindest regards

Linda

Am researching them myself as my Grandfather served with the 1st Leinster Battalion in France and Belgium and my Granduncle served with the 2nd Leinster Battalion also.

I ended up getting Richard Mole do do my research at Kew and found him very reasonable and professional.

Just look up the web site www.richardmole.com and I'm sure that its possible to look up the medal index over the net for a small fee.

If you use Richard just mention John Brown.

He ended up doing a report for me which he posted on his web page.

Hope this helps.

Hi Linda & John

Do not know if you have seen that Leinstersoldier (Mike) as a book detailing the history of the Leinster Regiment in the Great War and is happy to do lookups.

Annette

• 4 years later...

Hi Linda

I am researching my great uncle, Andrew MITCHELL a 2nd Lieutenant in the 2nd Leinster Regiment, Regimental Number 14486. He entered France on 11.6.17 (Medal Card) Andrew MITCHELL died of wounds 2 Aug 1917 in France, aged 23 and is buried Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium Grave No. - XIV A 19

Is there any way of finding out more about the battles in which he was involved. I have read the Long, Long Trail and I think the 2nd Battalion Leinsters joined 17th Brigade which in turn joined the 24th Division. Around 31st July they were at "Pilckem ridge, the Allies suffered about thirty-two thousand casualties — killed, wounded or missing — in this one action".

Are there War Diaries with names of those who died in this offensive or are the numbers just too enormous?

I would be interested to know if Andrew MITCHELL was wounded and died at this time?

• Admin

A must read for the 2nd Leinsters is Stand To, A Diary of The Trenches 1915-1918 by F C Hitchcock MC. Unfortunately for you, Hitchcock was in England during a large part of 1917 but it is a fascinating read and insight. The war dairies are held at the National Archives in Kew though some are online and can be downloaded at a modest fee. Individual soldiers are rarely mentioned by name though.

On 31st July 2nd Leinsters were part of 23 brigade 24 Div and attacked through Shrewsbury Forest taking Jehovah Trench, Groenenburg Farm and Jordan Trench but they had to fall back to Jehovah Trench

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Phillips

Michelle

Thanks so much for the information about the 2nd Leinster Regiment. I will see if I can locate the book "Stand To, A Diary of The Trenches 1915-1918" by F C Hitchcock MC and will check out the other references and place names. . . . . Beth