Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chinstrap - Service Dress Soft Cap

Broznitsky

In all the photos of men I've seen with their soft caps on, the chinstrap is always nicely over the brim.

Does anybody have any pics of men actually using the chinstrap, that is, on their chin or even on their lip?

I actually can't say I've ever seen a photo of a chinstrap in use.

I do have 1906 correspondence from the Cavalry Corps complaining about the design of the SD cap chinstrap. The first (actualy second) pattern had leather sliders. The Cavalry complained bitterly that this design made the strap slip easily and unsuited for wearing under the chin so the design was changed to the more familar brass sliders.

Joe Sweeney

I’ve never seen a picture of chinstraps down during the War, and can’t see what practical purpose this could have served beyond keeping the cap on at the gallop or in a howling gale. Some early war photos do however show it being worn over the top of the cap - presumably this is "swank", like removing the stiffener wire. The Winter Service Dress cap, or Corblimey, is often seen being worn without a strap at all, even sometimes when it has been converted by cutting off the earflaps. It didn't have buttons, just little hooks between the flap and the band, where buttons would have been uncomfortable.

Presumably the RFC sidecap could only be worn with the chinstrap either down or off, given the way it fitted to little hooks inside the cap.

My understanding is that General Allenby was very keen on them indeed when he was i/c of the Cavalry. There is a famous picture of the 16th (?) Lancers wearing them during the retreat from Mons. When my Grandfather wore service dress in the early 1930's (with the Cheshire Yeomanry) his cap was fitted with two so that the first could maintain the smart appearance of the cap front whilst the second was firmly under the chin !

Hello,

I can't provide a picture, but my reaction is, why was it called a 'chinstrap' if that was not what it was for. In more modern times i.e. 1970, I have used the strap on a SD cap in strong wind.

Old Tom

I can't provide a picture, but my reaction is, why was it called a 'chinstrap' if that was not what it was for.

Old Tom, I don't mean to say that the designer included a piece called a chinstrap purely for cosmetic reasons; no doubt he intended it to be used.

My point is that I have never seen a photo of a man, particularly infantry, using the chinstrap. And if even equipment guru Joe Sweeney has never seen such usage, this would indicate the chinstrap was rarely used for its intended purpose . . .

Old Tom, I don't mean to say that the designer included a piece called a chinstrap purely for cosmetic reasons; no doubt he intended it to be used.

My point is that I have never seen a photo of a man, particularly infantry, using the chinstrap. And if even equipment guru Joe Sweeney has never seen such usage, this would indicate the chinstrap was rarely used for its intended purpose . . .

Theres a picture in Stephen Chambers book Uniforms and Equipment of the British Army in WW1 page87 'In Trenches at Festubert' soldier wearing chinstrap. I will see if I can hunt out some more.

Mick

*Joe: you may have this ref in your Clothing Regs.

regards

Paul

Paul,

I don't have the documents in hand but I can remember at least in the case of the WSD that the RACD did formally approve the chinstrap configuration you discussed in July 1915. After that date WSD should have also been manufactured with the arrangement.

Joe

• 17 years later...

A late contribution to this thread, but came across it whilst looking for something else. A couple of reference photos, the first showing a rare example of the SD cap chinstrap in actual use for its intended purpose on the man kneeling viewers left. The man standing viewers right is also of interest as he's definitely wearing one chinstrap over the top of his cap. But it also looks like he might be wearing a second chinstrap around the front as well, an arrangement more clearly seen in the second photo:

image.jpeg.7094d3f8aa6e8c666528e041da56b331.jpeg

image.jpeg.c7aad48ce3bfbb80a434063aee17474b.jpeg

Edited by Andrew Upton

Great photo finds Andrew 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Wardog said:

Unable to access/open images. Regards, Paul.

Curious, came up as links that no longer worked but a basic bit of editing and they just reappeared. Anyhow, back again :-)

All of these pictures of cavalry, and other soldiers at mounted duty show chinstraps down, although some more clearly than others.  The key factor was being properly on-the-move.  Impromptu photos of e.g. watering parades, or simply where a soldier has mounted purely to pose and have his photo taken, often gives a false impression because chinstraps are up.

NB.  Notice that the chin strap’s position is firmly under the chin and not on the lower lip like a ceremonial helmet. 

IMG_8242.jpeg

IMG_8238.jpeg

IMG_8239.jpeg

IMG_8240.jpeg

IMG_8244.jpeg

IMG_8245.jpeg

IMG_8246.jpeg

IMG_8241.jpeg

IMG_8249.jpeg

IMG_8247.jpeg

IMG_8248.jpeg

IMG_8250.jpeg

IMG_8251.jpeg

IMG_8254.jpeg

IMG_8255.jpeg

IMG_8256.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Super images @FROGSMILE

all the chaps have the strap beneath their chin, but their appears to be a strap on the cap aswell, in the usual place, although I may be interpreting shadows etc incorrectly in the photos. This can be seen particularly in the first image 

did they have double straps?? I have a 1918 soft cap but I can’t see how I could arrange the strap to both be above the peak and under a chin at the same time, without having two straps 

Edited by MrEd

14 minutes ago, MrEd said:

Super images @FROGSMILE

all the chaps have the strap beneath their chin, but their appears to be a strap on the cap aswell, in the usual place, although I may be interpreting shadows etc incorrectly in the photos 
did they have double straps?? I have a 1918 soft cap but I can’t see how I could arrange the strap to both be above the peak and under a chin at the same time, without having two straps 

I think it was two straps.  It was still the case when I enlisted as a boy and I got the impression even then that it was an ancient practice…(worn due to parade square immediately above seafront and incoming Easterlies).

Afternote: Each soldier at mounted duties was issued two forage caps (one service dress), each with a chin strap - so each man had two of the latter.  Clothing Regulations 1914 refer.

IMG_0796.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Brill, thanks :) 

Gloucestershire Royal Field Artillery Territorials. 

00EC8C21-C40B-49AF-861A-D37382B02F1E.jpeg