Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question for our Aussie Pals

Terry

I am currently reading a book on the batle of Amiens, and mention is made of a bet made between the 24th Bn (Victoria Rifles of Canada) and the 57th Victoria Bn AIF as to which unit would reach the objective Red Line first. Apparently an Australian officer had wondered if the Canadians could "keep up" to his unit. He was assured by Lt.Col.Clarke-Kennedy (CMG,DSO & bar, and who was to earn the VC a couple of weeks later at Arras), the CO of the 24th, that they could, and the bet took place.

Are there any accounts of this bet in the Aussie histories?

By the way, when the Australians reached the Red Line they were met by the grinning men of the 24th (at least acording to this book) :D

Nothing in Bean's Official Histories that I could find Terry but the story certainly has a ring of truth about it. Sounds just like something these blokes would do.

Tim L.

Hi Terry

W.H. Downing (57th Bn) in his book “To the Last Ridge” had this to say:

P.141

“Our shells were still roaring through the air, but falling far away, on the villages. Here it was peaceful as a rural Sunday, except on the right, where the Canadians were having trouble with some difficult country, copses and farms. They were very anxious to beat us to our objectives, and had made many wagers with us. By seven o’clock we were on the Blue Line, an hour and twenty minutes before the scheduled time.”

P.141

“Shortly before the time appointed for the second stage of the battle, the Canadians took Marcelcave, immediately across the railway from where we were, and all was ready for us to go forward. We had watched them at work – encircling villages, storming strong posts and fighting through woods. They had a rough time, for the difficulties of their terrain were often great, but they were good men. In the ancient Homeric style they were led in person by their colonel, and their chaplain accompanied them! We were often able to assist them when we were farther forward than they, by firing into the backs of the enemy across the railway line.”

P.144

“The Canadians were in difficulties again. We climbed the railway embankment and lay down. Below us was a ravine. We fired into the German’s backs, for we had forged ahead of our neighbours. The trouble was being caused by a thick wood (Bois Picuret), strongly held.”

P.144

“Germans came running out of the back of the wood, in a mob. We put a burst of machine-gun fire into them from our commanding position. The survivors surrendered. Canadian infantry emerged from the wood and took charge of them.”

P.146

“Our own shells were falling among us. That was because we were ahead of time, so we slackened the pace. We came upon an old trench made by the French in 1915. This was our day’s objective, the Red Line. We had advanced eight miles.”

Downing doesn’t say who won the bet(s) – but it sounds to me like neither would have reached their objectives without the help of the other. ;)

Cheers, Frev

Frev,

Thanks for the excerpts. Certainly makes interesting reading, and a degree of mutual admiration is evident. In the book I am currently reading, the same admiration is also noted, although it does not appear to have been extended to the Imperial units.

Whether this is just another case of the "Colonials" denegrating the abilities of the Imperials I can't say.