Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nèry, 1914

Robert Dunlop

I have just finished reading Becke's account of this action. In fact, I am re-reading it. Naval and Military Press have re-published the book, which is subtitles 'The adventure of the German 4th Cavalry Division on the 31st August and 1st September'. The book is a real gem. Fabulous. Really amazing story. The action at Nery is reasonably well known. The BEF 1st Cavalry Brigade was taken by surprise by the German 4th Cavalry Division. The cavalry versus cavalry encounter was quite a rare occurrence on the Western Front. Three VCs were won by "I" Battery RHA. Becke has used a number of German sources to complete the account of the battle. But I am not going to give away the rest of the story. The truth is definitely stranger than fiction!

Robert

I bought this on eBay from N&M Press. After reading your review I think I will move this to the top of my "to read" pile.

There are plenty of maps which I have photocopied already. I like to do this so that I can annotate them and have them beside the text.

Thanks for the review

Dikke, it is worth bringing to the top of the pile. The book is easy to read and won't take long. I like your approach with the maps. This is really important I find, especially when following the movements and actions that took place during those early months of the war. You will find it very helpful with this book.

Robert

Dear Robert

Thank you for your advice and comments.

I do not like to write on books although there have been exceptions - including the one I am reading now which is Mud, Blood and Poppycock!. This is why I photocopy the maps and write on them instead. It is also handy to have them beside the text rather than referring backwards or forwards all the time.

My main interest in WWI is in the opening phases and Nery should suit me well.

I actually drove quite near the spot last month while in the area but I had promised my wife that there would be no battlefields during the trip so I had to keep going! Still I did get to see inside the Chateau de Chantilly.

Regards

Dikke, I visited the village last year. It was a lovely warm day. Very pretty area and quite striking as you come out of the valley/ravine onto the plateau. It makes it much easier to understand why the battle unfolded as it did.

This book offers some interesting insights into the functioning of cavalry at this time in the war.

Robert

I also highly recommend this book. I never had much time for the guards or cavalry types. Studying Nery changed my views completely! I've not been to the village, but have seen the "L" battery gun at the IWM. That's the part of the story I had heard about, because there were artillery men in the family.

I think I will read the book and study the maps first and then visit the village.

I always imagined that it should be easy to clearly see the battlefield having read the book. This is not so. My first ever battlefield visit was the 1870 site at Saarbrucken where in fact I couldn't identify anything. One lesson I learnt there was to transfer the main points to a modern map and then go looking. So much has changed especially since 1914-18 when the landscape itself was upset. This is why guide books are a great help as somebody else has done this work for you.

This is well done in Aidken's book "The Waterloo Companion" where he shows the location of units superimposed over a modern map - motorways and all - making it very easy to find your bearings and understand better.

Regards

Dikke

Its also worth reading the section in Richard Holmes 'Riding the Retreat,' (see the relevant thread) as that is a travalogue, he does well at providing modern orientations.

per ardua per mare per terram

Thanks for that. I actually contributed to that topic also as I intend to buy that book based on the views expressed there.

Regards