Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Patrick Richard Walford RNVR

stevenbecker

Mates,

Another of these AIF ALH soldiers to gain commisons into the RN.

Patrick Richard Stewart Walford

Was commisoned into the RNVR in Nov 1915, he was from Bayswater London UK.

His record shows no service on RN ships but there is a note that he finished the war as a Capt and had also served in Russia.

I know this is not much to go on but is there any record of a Lt/Capt PRS Walford in any of your records?

Cheers

S.B

Mates,

His record shows no service on RN ships but there is a note that he finished the war as a Capt and had also served in Russia.

I know this is not much to go on but is there any record of a Lt/Capt PRS Walford in any of your records?

Cheers

S.B

Hi!

Patrick Richard Stewart Walford was commissioned as a Sub Lieut in the RNVR on the 18th Nov1915.

He served with the Russian Armoured Car unit led by Oliver Locker Lampson.

His commission is mentioned in the Aeroplane of 24th Nov 1915

He has a brief mention in "The Czar's British Squadron" page 82 (B.Pewrrett & A.Lord published by Kimber)

He is also listed in NA file Air1/2512 dated 11th Sep 1916 and probably others.

His listing as a Capt suggests that he may have continued in some capacity in the RNAS and became a Capt [RAF] on April Fool's Day 1918, but I am unable to research his career further at this time. Alternately he may have transferred to the Army when the Russian Armoured Car unit disbanded. Hope this helps

Duncan

Duncan,

Thanks mate, I was thinking along the lines of the 63rd Div, as before the war he is shown doing service with a Air Line sect Telegrapher RE in the British TA, but what you have mention makes sence as another aussie who was comisoned at the same time went with Lampson to Russia.

That being Guy Sholl who awarded the DSC in Russia. He finished the war as a MGC Maj in Dunsterforce. This also could be possible then for Walford.

Walford didn't have any sea qualifications which many of my other aussies that were commisoned into the RN did, so I wasn't thinking of a ship for this bloke but more Army type because of his TA qualifacations.

There was no mention of any RAF service in his record, is that RAF ref only because of the RNAS conection to his service with Lampson, not that he was a flyer in some way?

Thanks for any details as this mans life just got more interesting.

Cheers

S.B

Duncan,

Thanks mate, I was thinking along the lines of the 63rd Div, as before the war he is shown doing service with a Air Line sect Telegrapher RE in the British TA, but what you have mention makes sence as another aussie who was comisoned at the same time went with Lampson to Russia.

That being Guy Sholl who awarded the DSC in Russia. He finished the war as a MGC Maj in Dunsterforce. This also could be possible then for Walford.

Walford didn't have any sea qualifications which many of my other aussies that were commisoned into the RN did, so I wasn't thinking of a ship for this bloke but more Army type because of his TA qualifacations.

There was no mention of any RAF service in his record, is that RAF ref only because of the RNAS conection to his service with Lampson, not that he was a flyer in some way?

Thanks for any details as this mans life just got more interesting.

Cheers

S.B

Hi,

My suggestion that he may have ended up in the RAF is based on the fact that as he was serving with the RNAS when the Russian Cars were disbanded he would have had the option of continuing service in the RNAS or of transferring to the Army. Service in the RNAS does not imply anything to do with flying. There were a large number of RNVR officers serving in admin, technical and various other tasks in the RNAS.

However with his previous service in the TA pre war he might well have transferred to the army.

Regards Duncan

• 4 months later...
Guest Michael Kidner
Mates,

Cheers

S.B

Guest Michael Kidner
Mates,

Cheers

S.B