Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick John Pye

fstevens

Hi All

Could anyone tell me where I could find details of how/where my Grand Uncle died ?

Frederick John Pye

Private or Rifleman B/203380 in the Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own), 11th Battalion. Killed in action 13 March 1917. Age 30

FORMERLY R/17022, K.R.R.C.

Buried at . GUILLEMONT ROAD CEMETERY, Grave I. D. 12,GUILLEMONT

Many thanks

Fred

Hi Fred

The 11/R.B. were part of the 20th Division who were holding the line from Sailly-Saillisel to somewhere about the Lesoeufs-le Transloy road. I think their Brigade were holding left part of line but will need to check that. The 20th Divisions history does not mention anything taking place on the 13th March.

Annette

Fred,

During the month of January the Battalion was in the Bouleaux area and carried out three tours of trench duty.

From 1 to 13 February, it was in the Guillemont area and from there carried out a tour of duty in the Lesboeufs sector, during which Captain R.C. Berkeley and 2nd Lieutenant Dearing were wounded. On the 14th went into the line and on being relieved on the 17th moved to Carnoy, but returned to Guillemont on the 22nd. The Battalion went into the line again on the 23rd and was relieved on the 26th, the trenches at the time being in a terrible condition owing to the thaw.

The early part of March was spent at Guillemont whence ordinary tours of trench duty were carried out. On the 17th it proceeded to the line. The German retirement had now begun and the Battalion took over most of the advanced posts of the 10th Battalion. During the next two days the advance was continued.

Nothing noted for the 13th in the war diaries unfortunatley, hope this helps you a little.

Andy

Fred,

Following your pm I had a look for his records yesterday as I had a lot to look for. I am afriad to say that they did not survive, sorry.

Andy