Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lone Tree

andigger

I am reading Philip Warner's book The Battle of Loos and one of the accounts included in the story is from A.B. Swaine who identifies himself as a Territorial in the Kent Cyclist Battalion at the time of the battle. Apparently one of his assignments after the 25/26 Sept fighting was to head out to the Lone Tree and cut it down for the souvenier hunting British HQ Officers behind the line. I was rather amazed (though not shocked) that this might be the case. He also said since he know the purpose of his mission he took two chucks of the tree himself.

I was wondering - are thier any of these souveniers still out there. Swaine said he still had his bits (in 1975) - one of which he had made into a cigarette lighter.

Andy

• Admin

Hi Andy

Supposed bits of the Lone Tree crop up in regimental museums- I have seen a bit of wood which claims to be a piece in the SWB museum in Becon, I think there is also a bit in Scotland. My mate Nick Christian writes in his book "In The Shadow Of Lone Tree" that a story relates that the ruined tree survived and in 1920 blosomed once again.

Cheers, Michelle

Actually looking through the references and pictures there is a pic of the souvenier piece Mjr Swaine took from the tree. It has a bit of shrapnel and a memorial plaque with the date of the battle. The book doesn't mention if it is still in the family collection or part of a museum exhibit. Andy

• 7 years later...

I'm coming to this rather late (it's now March 2014!) but have an interest in the Lone Tree at Loos. Many years ago I purchased a picture of the Lone Tree painted by Captain Edward Handley Read who served in the trenches and has work in the Imperial War Museum amongst other locations. IWM also have a section of tree that purports to come from the Lone Tree and has a bullet embedded within it. Should anyone read this I would be grateful to know if there are any pictures of the original tree in existence.

The under-bidder at the auction was an elderly man who had served in the trenches and received the MC, he said that the picture was very evocative the scene from the trenches and was pleased that the picture was going to someone who he felt would look after it!

If anyone would like to see the picture I will attempt to photograph it and put it on-line.

Rob

• Admin

Rob- yes please! The Lone Tree is very close to my heart.

I have a print of the Tower Bridge by Handley Read. In my friend Nick Christians book (mentioned in post #2 above) there is a photo. I believe there is a photo in Nick Lloyds book on Loos as well.

Michelle

Rob, an image would be brilliant. Despite Michelle giving me infalible directions I have never made it closer than about a mile to the current tree, your painting will spur me to rectify that.

Pete.

post-84394-0-73867100-1394550281_thumb.j

Rob, an image would be brilliant. Despite Michelle giving me infalible directions I have never made it closer than about a mile to the current tree, your painting will spur me to rectify that.

Pete.

The site of the western Front association has a great map: http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/great-war-people/memorials/342-lone-tree-loos.html

• Admin

The map was drawn by my better half, the chapelle mentioned is no longer there. It was demolished a few years back by a boy racer who wiped out both chapel and himself

The map was drawn by my better half, the chapelle mentioned is no longer there. It was demolished a few years back by a boy racer who wiped out both chapel and himself

Job well done!!

I hope he does not mind my putting it in this thread.

MM.

There is a piece of the Lone Tree in the Museum at the London Scottish Headquarters in Horseferry Road, London.

There's also a piece in my collection... and will be included in the exhibition at Compton Verney later this year.

Presume it would have had someone's photo stuck in the circular section, long since disappeared. Bought from a Scottish Country House sale several years ago.

James

post-2897-0-39282300-1394710037_thumb.jp

Dear all. Thank you for the above and my apologies for my tardy reply. Attached (hopefully) is a rather poor image of the picture by Capt Edward Handley Read plus a potted biog from the web site of Chris Beetles and art dealer which is worth looking at as he has a lot of WW1 pictures.

The picture is about 24x19 inches and is a pastel drawing that seems to be a simplified version of the picture that is also in Nick Christians excellent book "In the Shadow of the Lone Tree" - page 55. It is signed and inscribed "The Lone Tree at Loos". I purchased it at auction in Salisbury in the 1970s and the under bidder (as I later discovered) was an elderly gentleman who had been in the Royal Field Artillery in WW1 and was awarded the MC. When we spoke he said that the picture was highly evocative of "the average view from the trenches.." Regretfully I don't know if he was at Loos. Handley Read died in Salisbury so there is the possibility that the picture may have come from his estate.

"Establishing himself as a wide-ranging artist and illustrator during the 1890s, Edward Handley-Read produced pioneering images of the front line during the First World War.

Edward Handley-Read was born Edward Read, probably in Kensington, London. He was educated at Kensington Grammar School and first studied art at the National Art Training School (more popularly known as the South Kensington Schools). He then progressed to the Westminster School, where he worked under Fred Brown, and the Royal Academy Schools, where he won the Creswick Prize for landscape painting. He exhibited at the Royal Academy, the Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours and the Royal Society of British Artists, becoming a member of the last in 1895. He also contributed illustrations to various books and magazines, including The Graphic and The Illustrated London News. During the 1890s, he gave as his addresses the Ranger’s Lodge, Hyde Park (1890-94), and 1 Camden Studios, Camden Street (1893-98).

In 1910, Edward Read married the suffragette and pioneering woman dental surgeon, Eva Handley, and changed his surname by deed poll to Handley-Read.

They would have one son and one daughter. (Their son, Charles, would become a noted architectural writer and collector, with a pioneering interest in William Burges, and an inspiring teacher, at Bryanston.)

During the First World War, Handley-Read served in the Machine Gun Corps, first as a sergeant-instructor and later a Captain. In that capacity, he organised an army studio for diagrams and models for instruction on military matters, instructed on camouflage, and invented published sets of coloured diagrams for the teaching of machine-guns. He also produced several hundred watercolours of life on the front line, some of which were exhibited at the Leicester Galleries in May 1916, in a solo show entitled ‘The British Firing-Line’.

After the war, Handley-Read produced a variety of figure subjects and landscapes. Living at Chantry Lodge, Chantry Lane, Storrington, Sussex, until at least 1932, he died at the House of Steps, 41 High Street, Salisbury, on 6 December 1935.

His work is represented in the collections of the Imperial War Museum."

post-108029-0-16537700-1395411281_thumb.

• Admin

Thank you for the posting, a cracking looking picture. If you ever want to part with it I know someone who would be interested :whistle:

Michelle

Sorry Michelle I have two historian sons who would lynch me if I parted with it.. Nick Christian would also like a copy so if I ever get it out of the frame (only redone last year) I'll get it photographed and send you a decent copy.

Rob

• Admin

Thanks Rob, Nick is a good friend. I will be at the tree next week

Michelle

Rob, thanks for posting the details on Edward Handley-Read. As someone interested in the Battle of Loos and William Burges, there is a nice link between the two via the architectural historian Charles Handley-Read.

Moriaty

Thanks for posting the photograph. I have always been fascinated by this area, as the 9th King's Liverpools attacked towards the tree as part of Green's Force on 25th September.

And this week i have finally managed to obtain a copy of Nick Christian's excellent book, which I first read years and years ago and have wanted a copy ever since.

Ken

• Admin

Did you get the reprint Ken? Nick has enlarged the book, it's much better now

Michelle

Bonjour Michelle

i hope this years the cherry are excellent in this summer ....because last year not a lot ...

in the museum exist a panel with alone tree

gilles

Hi all

As promised a "better" picture of my Lone Tree pastel. Due to the size constraints of the site tis not as good as I hoped but it's no longer seen behind glass..

Rob

post-108029-0-56490400-1396261239_thumb.

Rob, looks pretty good to me. I'd be very interested in the views of the experts on the area as to the topographical accuracy of the landscape in the background; I'd not noticed the distinct hill. It might make a good subject for a then and now comparison. Thanks for posting; it is a really impressive picture.

Pete.

• Admin

Pete not sure if is a hill or a crassier,

either way I would say artistic license. If you search for Lone Tree there are photos of the present day tree .

Michelle