Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Criteria for inclusion on CWGC

mmm45

Hi

Ive been researching 6048 Pte Joseph Herrington( born Featherstone 1883c) a Coldstreamer who became a tunneller in 1915 with 170 Coy.After tracking down relatives who could give me no answers i have possibly finally found my man on the same memorial as my great Uncle Arthur in Whitwood Castleford West Yorks which is where the mystery starts.

CWGC and SDGW do not have Joseph as a casualty although Arthur and the other men i have checked on the memorial were all casualties. His MIC states he was eligible for 1914 Star plus VM BWM but didnt apply for roses and clasp to star.( he was 3rd Coldstreamers 1914)

What do other pals think?

Could he have died in 1918 of flu immediately after demob and been included as a casualty as the memorial wouldnt have been built? what was the cut off time for inclusion on CWGC of death due to war wounds?

Any help or ideas welcome.

Thank you

Ady :)

The cut-off date for all men qualifying for war grave status - serving or discharged - is 31.08.21.

If he died of illness/wounds after discharge, he would only qualify if his illness etc was due to his service. Dying of flu is unlikely to be so.

For a fuller explanation of the criteria, see my post in this thread

Ady

Probably your only way forward is to apply for his death certificate to confirm date/cause of death and to download his Medal Index Card to verify demob date, etc.

John

Ady

Probably your only way forward is to apply for his death certificate to confirm date/cause of death and to download his Medal Index Card to verify demob date, etc.

John

Thanks for your help

Looks like i will have to find his death certificate.Do i go about that through the GRO?

His MIC only has medal details date of entry to France 1914 and transfer to 170 Coy RE april 1915.

Ady :)