Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of a London Regiment and DLI Badges

Beinn

Can anyone correctly identify this shoulder badge. Clearly it reads T18London, but I do not know if this means 1/8th (Post Office Rifles) or 18th (London Irish Rifles).

The other item is a reproduction of a DLI cap badge. This is white metal, was the rank&file brass but the same? And is it the correct reproduction for 1914-1918.

As an aside I am looking for a reference so that I can 'correctly' dress a sergent of the Durham Light Infantry 1914-1916. Any suggestions most welcome.

many thanks

post-3141-1146129789.jpg

post-3141-1146129971.jpg

Can't help in the DLI badge I'm afraid but the shoulder title is 18th Londons, London Irish Rifles. As far as I am aware they did not differentiate battalions by 1st, 2nd etc on these shoulder titles but I stand to be corrected.

Can't help in the DLI badge I'm afraid but the shoulder title is 18th Londons, London Irish Rifles. As far as I am aware they did not differentiate battalions by 1st, 2nd etc on these shoulder titles but I stand to be corrected.

Many thanks for the feedback, Squirrel....I strongly believe you are right. My great-grandfather collected them from regiments he met while in France and afixed them to a belt, but I have been unable to confirm him meeting up with any London Regiment.

Unfortunately, I remember as a child the belt with numerous badges, but have only a few left - Royal Candadian Regiment, Royal Scots and DLI (his own regiment) all of which I have managed to identify when he would have been able to get hold of the badges.

1/18th (47th 2nd London Div) were in France and Flanders from March 1915 to 1919 IIRC.

2/18th (60th 2/2nd London Div) in France for only a few weeks from June 1915 IIRC before they went to Salonika, Egypt, Palestine and disbanded 1918.

3/18th never left England.

OR's of the DLI wore the white metal Badge,{unless wearing the 1916 "economy" brass issue}Officers would be Bronzed or Silver/Plated

Thanks Harry + Squirrel,

My g-grandfather was in the 13thDLI. Originally, I thought that they may have been regiments that they were next to in the line but it seems the other badges correspond with regiments that trained with the 13th, which makes more sense suggesting more time for informal meetings.

p.s. for squirrel what does IIRC mean?

ta

IIRC=If I Recall Correctly!!! {IMHO~ :blink::huh: Sorry!}