Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Member would like to introduce herself & ask for help re

lindaberrington

Hello everyone.

Firstly, I would like to say how pleased I am that I found this site! It’s brilliant! In fact, I only found the site yesterday and at first I thought that I’d spend only a short amount of time ‘browsing’ the site but ended up reading it and the forum for several hours! Also, from the info I gathered on this site I then went online to the National Archives and found my grandfather’s medal index card! (how good is that!)

Before I start, sorry if this is a long post but I have so much to say and ask :)

Anyway I am writing in the hope that you seasoned experts can assist me with my quest of tracing info on my grandfather who was a Pte in WW1. I am also interested in info on his cousin who died of wounds in France during WW1 so any guidance you can give me would be very much appreciated as I now live in the US and have no way of visiting places in person to research.

Here is the info I have:

Grandfather’s Info:

His name was Thomas Connor. (we, his descendants, are all known as the surname O’Connor but for some reason he was known as ‘Connor’)

I have what’s left of his form Z.21. It says that he enlisted as a Private on April 29, 1915 in the Leinster Rgmt (Regtl. No. 4421). Served in Salonica, Egypt and France? (not sure if he wrote it or official did as the handwriting is different in various places on the form) He served for 3yrs 8 months and was transferred to the Reserves in April 18, 1919 to the Royal Irish Regiment (regtl. No. 21505).

From the index card I found at the National Archives it has the medal info at the top right hand corner of the form. It gives the corps as Leinster 4421 and Royal Irish Regt 21505. Theatre of War as 2b Balkans and qualifying date as 10-8-15. It also has Class Z AR (transferred to the reserves?)

Obviously I would love to find his original medals but I know that that would be like looking for a needle in a haystack but perhaps I should buy the three medals he would have received (unless he would have received something else for the campaigns that he was in?) I have seen various medals for the Leinster’s for sale but have to say that I am reluctant to buy them as they belonged to someone else! From a personal point of view I believe that one should either have their ancestor’s true medals or replacements in display cases/frames pertaining to them)

Perhaps I’m just too naive about all of this but if I found medals belonging to someone, I would rather they go back to their family (hoping of course, that the family value the true meaning of those great men (and women) of the Great War).

Anyway, what do I do about researching the actual documents in England? Is there someone on this site that can do this for me please (for a fee)

I’ve just bid on an original (i hope) ww1 Leinster badge on eBay to put with the photo, card and other info I have of my grandfather because at the end of the day it’s been 90 yrs since he was in WW1 and if I don’t do something to acknowledge him now for my kids and their kids to learn and know about then he (my grandfather) will become lost in time.

Grandfather’s Cousin Info:

My grandfather’s name was ‘Connor’ or ‘O’Connor’. He was married to a ‘Monahan’ and her family/relatives had the surname ‘Burke’ so my grandfather’s cousin (so I’ve been told) is Michael Burke. (not sure of the family tree but apparently Thomas Connor/O’Connor was a poor man who married a Monahan and the Monahan family weren’t too pleased about it!) The burkes were attached from the Monahan side of the family)

Anyway, here is the info on Michael Burke who Thomas Connor/O’Connor named his son Michael in honor of:

Private Michael Burke. Born Portumna, Ireland. Enlisted in King’s Shropshire Light Infantry No. 7112. Died of wounds and was buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery.

(FYI: I did a private self-tour of some of the WW1 battle sites and cemeteries some years ago (yes - there are some of us girls that actually do that sort of thing!) and went to Michael Burke’s grave and left some Poppies there. I think I was probably the only ‘relative’ that did so but the lad had lain there all those years and I felt that it was time that someone went to pay their respects)

Thanks in advance to anyone in Blighty or elsewhere who can help me with my quest.

Kind regards

Linda Berrington

Welcome aboard Linda,

In regards to research there are people who will do research for you at the National Archives etc.

If you go to the top of this page and click on 'The Long Long Trail' you will be taken to the website of the forum boss, Chris Baker. Here you will find info on how best to research etc and poss some help with who to contact, Chris does some work himself on research etc

There are also many regimental experts here on the forum who may be able to help with battalion back ground.

Not sure if you are into background reading but certainly there is a great book by two forum members, Alan Wakefeild and Simon Moody, about Salonika called' Under the Devils Eye'. It is a cracking read about the war there.

Anyway good hunting.

Arm

Oh as far as research goes try a few posts along the lines of

'anyone have info on Shropshires regiment' or such like, there are so many threads to read that often unless the title is specific then the eye can move past without reading it.

regards

Arm

Hi I hope you have fun on the forum, i prsume you dot the info on the casualty from the CWGC site, if not

http://www.cwgc.org/

As for the medal question its a vexted one between the researchers and the medal collectors. You dont want to get into that particular battle. You xan get gooish quality copies on EBAY just take your time and have agood look. Some members of the forum Im sure will be able to reccommend good dealers for such items. As for the originals start by checking with the older members of your family, and go from ther you never know they may be in grandpas drawer. Good luck in your search. Gareth

Thanks so much for your response. I will certainly source the book in Salonika.

Alas I only have limited knowledge on WW1 and have only three books on the subject! (books I have are - 'They called it Passchendaele' by Lynn Macdonald; a traveller's guide to battlefields of the first world war and Comprehensive guide to the Somme Battlefields)

Linda

Hi Linda

Private Michael Burke landed in F/F on 25th March 1915, I think he would have been a Sp. Reservist, from the 3rd Battalion. He joined the 1st Battalion in F/F, I do not have time at moment but will look at their war diary later and see if it mentions any drafts in late March. I would say he was wounded at Hooge on 9th August but this is only a guess on my part.

Annette

Hello Linda and welcome to the Forum

There are a number of Pals active in the Irish Republic who may be able to help - they certainly have helped me.

Stephen :)

Annette

Thank you so much.

I hope you don't mind me saying this but reading your reponse and possible factual info about Michael Burke is both exciting and sad at the same time (does that make sense?)

I would be so thankful if you could find anything else from war diaries.

Regards

Linda

both exciting and sad at the same time (does that make sense?)

Yes it does Linda and by way welcome to the forum I should have seid that in my first post.

Annette

Welcome Linda to the Forum :)

As a new member myself, I wish you good searching and know the many extremely knowledgeable and helpful members will help all they can. I have found this site and forum very inthrauling, hours can slip away very quickly. :rolleyes:

Doris

Hi Linda

Just looked at diary.

A draft of 20 men joined the 1st Battalion on the 28th March 1915. The Battalion were in billets in Armentieres at the time.

His first spell in the trenches would have been on the 5th April when the Battalion return to trenches between Rue du Bois & the Lille road and strong points behind the front line, namely Dubie Farm (I think this is miss spelling of Du Biez Farm ?), X Farm, De La Hallerie Farm, Red Farm, Deplanche Farm (which could be miss spelling of Desplanque Farm, I have not yet checked this out) and Lille Post.

They remain in this area doing two more tours in the trenches, the last tour last from the 29th April until 30th May, each company taking it in turns to relieve the front line. This lenght of time in the trenches is exceptional, I can only guess was down to the pressure of the fight at Ypres and other committents by the British Army.

The Battalion along with the rest of its Division moved to Ypres at start of June. Spending tours of the front line at Potijde until mid July, they then moved to the Forward Cottage area to end of that month.

They are out of line from 28th July to 5th August, when they take over trenches between the Menin Road and Zouave Wood inreadyness to take part in an attack on Hooge. Fifteen men are wounded on the 6th by shell fire, eight more are wounded next day. Several officers and men are killed & wounded on the 8th (3 other ranks wounded).

The Battalion take part in attack on the 9th and capture the famous Hooge Crater. The war diary records 35 men are killed, 156 wounded & 21 missing plus another three killed & 7 wounded during early hours of the 10th before relief, Soldiers Died (published after war) records 64 men of the Battalion lost their lives on 9th & 10th, four of which died of wounds.

I think Pte. Burke would have been wounded some time between the 5th & 10th August but that is only a guess on my part he could have been one of the 50 men wounded between June & July. If I ever fined out for sure I will let you know. Also I have maps of the areas mention if you want me to email them to you just send me an email and I can attach them to the reply.

Annette

Annette

Thank you so much!

I would love to look at the maps of the area and would be grateful if you could email them to me.

Linda