Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers - Ypres 1917 query

Ivatt

Hi,

I was wondering if any one out there can help me. One of my relatives was killed in this battle on the 20th Sept 1917 which was on the first day of this battle I think. Ive looked for ages on the web but can only find limited information as to the role the NFusiliers 11th Battalion played.

If anyone can offer any more information I would be extremely grateful. I have enlosed a link to his war grave if this helps.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=875959

Many Thanks in advance

Andrew Wright

Andrew,

I haven't got the War Diary for this battalion covering this period, but an excellent book about the 11th Bn,N.F. was written by Norman Gladden entitled "Ypres 1917", which was part of a triology regarding his war service. Chapter V of "Ypres 1917" is called "The Battle of Menin Road", which deals with the battle in which Ivatt was killed. The book is out of print, but can still be purchased on the web from good bookshops which deal in military subjects. Or you could get it through your local library and it's ISBN No. is 0 7183 0235 4.

A broader view of the battle can also be viewed through the "History of the 23rd Division" by H.R. Sandilands, this I believe has been reprinted, but an origianl copy is extremely rare and would set you back over £100.

Graham.