Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help required

IanA

I need to identify the unit in which a gunner served. I have a sketch book with many drawings dated to the summer of 1918 and inside the cover is '30th Battery'. There are also some aerial photographs of artillery shoots with '30' on the back. His unit had 8" howitzers. I am convinced that he was with the 30th Siege Battery but his MIC says RGA/152 B - does this refer to the 152 battery? If so did he transfer and his original battery has not appeared on the card - or am I misunderstanding the reference? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian

I'm afraid you're misunderstanding the reference. RGA/152B (there should also be a page number after this reference) is the Army Medal office reference relating to your man's entry in the actual Medal Roll and has nothing to do with the actual unit he served with.

The AMO reference can be translated (at NA, Kew), using the cross reference books available, into a WO329/xxxx reference number which will be for the RGA Medal Roll covering your man's entry.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Steve

Thanks very much for this Steve. I suspected that this was the case - it was just that there was a 152 Battery and I wondered if he had transferred to this unit in the later stages of the war or even after the war.

• 1 month later...

just looking at this topic and i to have been chasing a medal role number thinking it was the battery my GF was in. Which I should have realised as the battery numbers are on his service sheets. Of which I have 17 sheets with loads of info, but have not been able to make much headway with. Not being an expert in ww1 matters. so I keep looking at the forum for little bits of info which might help.

Which i might add seems to get better and better.

gunner..........still a corp.

:(