Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Research from Postcards

BULLDOGFOGG

Pals,

Just thought id share a little hobby that ive stumbled over and cant stop now:

Sadly, i collect postcards, mainly local to my area (North Yorkshire, Richmond). Some times these postcards have little ditties written on them. Ive started to investigate the content of some of the cards that are dated 1914-1918. You will be amazed at what you can turn up. So far ive investigated Zeppelin raids over Middlesbrough (mentioned in a card to a worried relative), a worried wife telling her mother of her concern that Freddie hadnt written in a month (DOW OCT 16). Youve got to remember that the post in those days was superb, cards could be written and delivered sometimes in the same day. So the information in relation to the postmark is usually spot on, making it easier to tie references to historical events. Here is a transcript of a card im working on:

To Miss Moses, Post Office, Tow Law. Postmarked: Catterick Camp 10pm 8 Jun 1918

".....Have not heard from D for a fortnight so am getting very anxious, i see his Div has been in action a great deal. Please let me know if you have heard anything, have you had any more news from George.

Love to all Madge"

So Pals give this a go, lets see what we can ALL turn up rather than just my amateur sleuthing, it brings a real sense of morality to the era !

Regards

Kev

Guest geoff501
To Miss Moses, Post Office, Tow Law. Postmarked: Catterick Camp 10pm 8 Jun 1918

".....Have not heard from D for a fortnight so am getting very anxious, i see his Div has been in action a great deal. Please let me know if you have heard anything, have you had any more news from George.

Love to all Madge"

I like a good mystery (as If I don't already have enough!).

I'm assuming Miss Moses, Madge and D are all from the Towlaw, Durham area.

1901 census lists ten female Moses aged 4 to 28 in Towlaw. In particular one Phoebe E. Moses, age 39, occupation Postmistress at Towlaw. Could be Miss Moses.

Looking at casualties for the fortnight, one is George Dixon, residence Towlaw, 22nd DLI, killed in action

27/05/1918. His unit were indeed in the thick of it (based on casualties that day of 71 and 200+ for thereabouts). So is this D (Dixie) ?

Could not find any others resident/born Towlaw who died around this time likely to be a 'D'.

Wild guesses, but I think the Postmistress is right.

Is George and D the same person?

Who is Madge at Catterick?

This is what ive got so far:

I can just about decipher an E at the beginning of the message, tie this with Moses, we have E MOSES. You have got the right family at the PO in Tow Law. Evelyn Moses is a daughter of the postmistress in 1901 so this would fit. Madge (the sender) refers to E MOSES's George, this is i believe her brother GEORGE MOSES b.1898 and also living at Tow Law PO in 1901. CWG does not detail a death for G Moses, so he must have survivied.

Now then Madge, brick wall here, although i like your effort of Dixon. Ive contacted the Tow Law historical society for further info, see if they can shed light on MADGE AND D !!! Ill check the BMD for Dixon and Madge in Tow Law see if we get a match.

Happy sleuthing,

Kev

Guest geoff501
CWG does not detail a death for G Moses, so he must have survivied.

MIC has a George Moses in DLI, who seemed to have survived. However there are a couple of dozen others listed.

although i like your effort of Dixon.

With two Georges in the picture, a nickname for one may have been used?

Probably the Roll of Honour in the local paper may help. Might also list Madge (she may be in VAD?)