Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GERMAN MINENWERFER UNITS - YPRES 1917

Guest Langemark1418

Guest Langemark1418

Hello,

my great- grandfather served in a Minenwerfer Unit in WW1. He was killed near Poelkapelle in on the 19th of November 1917. Thats about all I know about him and the unit he served in. Does anyone of you have any lists or registeres with the names of german units serving in that area in that period ? Especialy MINENWERFER units ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Danke,

Rob

Guten Tag,

I can't help wiyh your units, but it may be interesting to add that my father was serving with a Mortar Battery with the 18th Division of the BEF at Poelkapelle from October 1917.

Auf weiderhoren,

Old Tom

Guest Langemark1418
Guten Tag,

I can't help wiyh your units, but it may be interesting to add that my father was serving with a Mortar Battery with the 18th Division of the BEF at Poelkapelle from October 1917.

Auf weiderhoren,

Old Tom

So same jobs, different sides. Interesting to see that today their sons can talk in peace. Thanks for your note my friend.

Auf Wiedersehen,

Rob

Rob,

I have quite a few books on the German side of the war and numerous reference works that could help. Could you provide his name and rank as I have the complete German Verlustlisten, 1914-1919 and couyld check to see what I find.

Ralph

Guest Langemark1418
Rob,

I have quite a few books on the German side of the war and numerous reference works that could help. Could you provide his name and rank as I have the complete German Verlustlisten, 1914-1919 and couyld check to see what I find.

Ralph

Thats were it starts to get hairy I guess. Name is Fritz Rheinhardt, and he had an NCO rank on the time of his death. AND I know he served in a Minenwerfer unit, at least that is what family tradition tells me.

Thanks mate !

Hello Rob,

Knowing the date and name is a good start. I will begin my search shortly, once I get another similar search finished. The biggest problem will be finding the correct casualty list. They are listed by date, in this I mean the date the casualty was reported, not the date of the wound. This means that the entry could be listed from 2 to 6 weeks after the actual date of his fatal injury.

As soon as I come across something I will let you know.

Ralph