Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Endless Story

per ardua per mare per terram

I've at last found a round tuit for borrowing Taffrail's (H Taprel Dorling DSO) 'Endless Story' on interlibrary from the library. My Dad banged on about it for years, I may have read it as I kid, but couldn't remember it. omg it really opens up the destroyer war!

What I got was the 1938 edition, but found it was a compressed edition. Which edition (s) are complete and unabridged and did he revise it in any editions? I'd like to add it to my shelves with all the extras!

Ive read the edition 1931 IMHO reading the later or abridged version is far better as the amendments are done. The first editions contain the mistakes.

Regards charles

That's why I plumped for the 6th edition! Unfortunately it 'omits' ... 'chapters describing the gallant work of the American Destroyers from 1917 onwards, and the British Destroyer strength and construction during the Great War. I have also omitted the six appendicies...'

All of which looks like useful stuff! I wish I could get the edition 'which remains in print at 5/- net,' 25p for a book!!

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

• 14 years later...

I'd like to revive this rather old topic to say that I have just found a copy of "Endless Story" by Taffrail amongst some books that have needed to be sorted out for some years!

It's the Sixth edition (first in this form) dated 1938. It doesn't have a dust jacket, and although there's some slight markings to the spine and front cover, it's in pretty good condition for it's age. There's a handwritten "dedication" to what looks like "R A M Roy" or "R A Mclroy" (it's a very florid signature) but also says "Sub Lt. R N R" followed by "HMS Cheshire, 19th August 1940".

Mr W Pedia tells me that HMS Cheshire was launched in 1927 by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Ltd, Govan, Glasgow, and completed later that year by Bibby Brothers & Co, Liverpool as the motor passenger ship Cheshire. On 29 August 1939, she was requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted to the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS Cheshire (F 18).

She was torpedoed twice by U-boats but survived each and returned to service after extensive repairs, and also survived a U-boat attack on a small convoy of troopships transiting the English Channel, containing just herself and SS Leopoldville; over 800 lives were lost when Leopoldville was sunk. Cheshire was used as a repatriation ship at war's end in 1945, and was returned to her owner in 1948. She was broken up at Newport in July 1957.

The ship's breaking up is the spooky thing, because I live in Newport, and my father was in the Royal Navy during the war. However, he didn't serve on HMS Cheshire, so the book didn't come from anyone on her. I have a feeling, in fact, that it came from a charity shop, because the price of 15p is shown in the top corner of the front flap. 

Anyway, I'll put it on my pile of "To Read" books, but if anyone wants it after I've read it, please get in touch via a PM. I don't want any payment, but we can discuss a suitable donation to a charity later! 

2 hours ago, The Scorer said:

R A M Roy" or "R A Mclroy" (it's a very florid signature) but also says "Sub Lt. R N R" followed by "HMS Cheshire, 19th August 1940".

August 1940 Navy List (on archive.org thanks to National Library of Scotland) has R.A. Ray (Sub-Lt, RNR) act. aboard CHESHIRE (p.823) with a seniority date of 10 Sept. 1939. Full name given on p.445 as Richard Anthony Ray with a seniority of 11 Jan 1940.

He was promoted Sub-Lt 22 Jun 1940 and Lieutenant 10 Apr 1943; commanded HMS CUMBRAE, MS Trawler, from mid-1944 to August 1944, and was MID 20 May 1945 https://www.uboat.net/allies/commanders/6703.html.

(Addition: in early 1939 Navy List he is a Midshipman RNR, seniority 7 Apr 1938).

Edited by seaJane

Yes, that sounds right, thank you. 

Here's some more information (it's amazing what you can find when you have a clue - thanks!). 

I've found him on the Traces of War web site, which gives the MID citation as for "Skill, patience and determination, whilst serving in HMS Bahamas, towing a damaged ship 160 miles in severe weather." It looks to me that they claim that he was from New Zealand and have "1907 - 1947" after this entry as follows: 

Nationality: New Zealander (1907 - 1947, Dominion UK)

but this can't be right, as he received the Reserve Decoration on 22nd March 1949 and retired on 1st July 1950.  

This is doubtless the incident for which the MID was awarded:

11 Dec 1944
British destroyer HMS Cassandra (Cdr. P.F. Powlett, DSO and Bar, DSC, RN) was hit by a Gnat torpedo fired by German U-boat U-365. The entire bow ahead of the forward magazine, including 'A' gun turret were blown off and the structure abaft this to the forward bulkhead of the fuel tanks was wrecked. Cassandra was taken in tow (stern first) by the British frigate HMS Bahamas (T/A/Lt.Cdr. W.S. Thomson, RNR). Later the tow was passed over to a Soviet tug which towed her to the Kola Inlet. 62 men lost their lives in this attack.

HMS Bahamas (K503) was a Colony Class Frigate, which was originally ordered by the United States Navy as the Tacoma Class Frigate USS Hotham (PF-75) and was transferred to the Royal Navy prior to completion. She was returned to the US Navy on 11th June 1946, transferred to the US Maritime Commission for disposal and subsequently sold to the John J Duane Company of Quincey, Massachusetts for scrapping on 16th December 1947.