Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner William David Dow 34th Siege Battery RGA

Guest suetowler

Guest suetowler

Hi,

Researching Gunner Dow. I know that he went to France on 18/8/1915 and that he was killed in action on 15/9/1917. He enlisted in Great Yarmouth, although I'm not sure why he became a gunner and didn't join the Norfolk Regiment. His service number was 54494. I went to visit his grave in Belgium over the weekend, which considering I never knew him (although I did know all of his brothers) was a very emotional experience!

Anyway, I just wondered whether anyone could tell me how service numbers were allocated since his number seems relatively low given the number of men that went to war. Could it mean that he enlisted quite early on but didn't go out until 1915? Or does the number not relate to date of enlistment?

Thanks

Sue

Sue,

That particular number style tells us nothing and appears to be either a regular army number or a composite depot enlistment number with men sent to many units within the same number group. If he was skiled with horses or better educated or a bit older than the norm he would be sent to the artillery.

Roop