Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

QMAAC RECORDS

petestarling

Has anyone had a chance to look at WO398 yet. I am curious to know if they contain the same sort of information as WO399.

My interest is the female doctors who joined QMAAC. As you may be aware the RAMC did not take female doctors until 1938 so in WW1 they took over 100 as civilian doctors, of which the AMS museum has some personal records. Those that came into uniform other then SWH etc went into the QMAAC to look after those ladies.

I am wondering if their records are amongst them and hope to get up to TNA shortly to have a look.

Pete Starling

• 2 weeks later...

Pete

WO398 is made up of service records of 'other ranks' in WAAC/QMAAC - there are no surviving officers' records at the National Archives, so I can't see that there will be any female RAMC doctors there. However, there could be just a chance that some survive in WO339. All the temporary RAMC doctors' files in the 24 series were destroyed, but I know Terry Reeves has been researching some female civilian schoolteachers who have files in WO339, so perhaps some of these doctors, also female civilians, could be there as well. The online index might give some clues, particularly for any that have unusual surnames.

Sue

There are also some records for women in WO 374. It's worth exploring all avenues as Sue has intimated.

Terry Reeves

Terry & Sue

Thank you both. I did not realise that 398 did not contain the officers. That explains why I could not find any of the names of the women I knew were doctors.

I have looked at the online index to 398 and had a look through the hard copy at TNA last week.

We think that the temporary commissioned files were destroyed in the 1920's/30's which does cause me a headache on a daily basis.

Pete Starling