Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW Look up please

barrieduncan

Hey folks,

Can some kind soul do a quick look up for me on Soldiers Died please? I'v come across a Cpl James Ferguson DCM, S/7515, A & S Highrs, who had two brothers both serving in the Black Watch. They were William Ferguson, and Robert Ferguson. I'm trying to establish if these two casualties could be James' brothers.

S/10622 Robert Ferguson, 2nd Black Watch, KIA 10/06/18

S/10976 William Ferguson, 8th Black Watch, KIA 19/05/1918

Both men have same Next of Kin details, so i'm confident they are brothers, but does SDGW give details of where born or enlisted? James Ferguson came from Wishaw.

Any help would be great.

Barrie

Ok, just found out that Sjt James Ferguson, S/7515, A & S Highrs was KIA 09/04/1917. His next of kin is diff from the other two Fergusons however the SNWM has them all born in Dalzell Parish, which I think might just cover Wishaw. Guess i'll need to have a dig through later editions of the newspapers.

Barrie

S/10622 - born: Dalziel, Lanarkshire; enlisted: Motherwell. SDGW notes he died of wounds, & was formerly 21507, Cam. Highlanders

S/10976 - born: Dalziel; enlisted: Hamilton, Lanarkshire. SDGW - kia 19/7/18

Nick

Cheers for that Nick. I tried tracking them all down in the 1901 census and I'm not convinced James is one of the brothers. Bit of a coincidence however so I'm not giving up yet. I'll try the newspapers around the times of death to see whats said.

Thanks again

Barrie

Obituary of Pte. Robert Ferguson -

Pte. Robert Ferguson, Black Watch, who has died of wounds received in action in Egypt on 10th June, joined up early in the war, and was previously wounded. He was only in his twenties, and has seen much heavy fighting. His brother, Sergt James Ferguson won the DCM and fell in action in France several months after receiving the honour. Another brother is at present recovering from wounds. Pte. Robert Ferguson was formerly employed on Dalzell Estate, and latterly in the Motherwell Bridge Works. His parents are both dead.

So there we have it - success! Now all three brothers can be remembered with honour.

Barrie

A sad end for three brothers, but at least you are making sure they are not forgotten.

Nick