Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regular servicemans length of service

Graeme Heavey

I have a question which has just popped into my noggin.

If my gt grandad was a regular serviceman and his date of enlistment was 1907, would he have served 10 years initially? Its just that I found it odd he was discharged in March 1917 when the war was still going strong. If these soldiers in this position were discharged like this, were they issued a SWB? My Gt grandad was and the roll says 'wounds'. Am I just misreading the information?

Also, at Kew on the microfiche reels we were lucky enough to find his re-enlistment papers from September 1918 when he was put into the RASC bakery sections. His Royal Fusilier papers were not there, although under previous service it had Royal Fusiliers S/6611, and 5th battalion RF ( which was the disposal Battalion at Hounslow ). He was in the 4th Battalion, and I assumed when he went home would've gone to Hounslow to de-kit and administer his discharge and issue the SWB etc etc. So would his 4th battalion papers be with the pensions people?

Any advice pals?

Graeme

Infantry Terms of Enlistment in 1907 were 7 years with the colours, and an extra year if overseas or if war broke out, plus the balance to make 12 [ie 5 or 4] on the regular reserve, liable to recall at any time, so, yes, looks like wounds invalided out, then conscripted under the MSAs of 1916.