Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ANZAC Day 25 April

Marlene

Kia Ora

In about an hour it will be the 25th April Down Under. The date on which every year we remember those who fought & those who died on foreign fields far from their homeland of Aotearoa in both World Wars.

Whilst researching the family history I have discovered that while all my NZ family returned home, battered, bruised, gassed and shot in the back (!) many of their relatives fought and died not far from their NZ cousins in the trenches.

They weren't all young men. They were men in their 40s with families. Through researching the family tree I have discovered that their letters/postcards home have been preserved by their families in Museums in their home town. As have their medals and "Dead Man's Penny". How wonderful it is to read letters written and received by these men. A wife writes that 'the boys play behind the fire guard" and a daughter aged 11 has a job to "help the family finances" as the children needed coats for the winter ahead.

At the time we commemorate those who have fallen from Aotearoa I think also of all the families here who must have had family 'back home" in England and with whom they subsequently lost contact as "normal" lives were resumed, often in different locations.

And of those, like my own grandfather, who died still coughing from the damage to his lungs caused 30 years earlier in France.

The sacrifices did not end in 1918.

Marlene

Remembering ;

Private William John FAIRY died 5 September 1917 Ist Bedfordshire Regt

Private George Ernest STEPHENS died 14 October 1917 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regt.

Please excuse my ignorance. Why was the 25th April chosen for ANZAC day? Does it commemorate a specific action?

Landings at ANZAC Cove.

Its now just past 1pm UK time - Happy ANZAC day - if thats the right phrase - to all down-under. I have a whole host of names of ANZAC men I am remembering right now - both those that died and those that returned.

I attended a dawn service whilst I was working for British Aerospace in Saudi Arabia in 2003 organised by our Australian & New Zealand contingent; even in it's 'improvised' form a very moving service (it was well organised and run though).

Lest We Forget.

Neil.

Kia Ora

I cannot help feeling that the death of the old soldier at the ANZAC service was somthing from which his family and many old soldiers will reflect on with pride and love!

Loyal to the end, surrounded by his mates & about to give his (last) order and with the Last Post echoing around.

I extend my sympathies to the family and his comrades.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post.

Marlene

post-7070-1145951594.jpgSome simular moving event happened back in 1965 when Basil Wood Bourne (AIF) returned to Gallipoli for the 50th anniversary of the landing.

Stepping off the coach near Anzac Cove he died suddenly.

He is now burried in the British Consular Cemetery in Canakkale.

God Bless.

Please pass on our sympathies to his relatives.

Mandy, Reb and Seb.

Remembering all ANZAC and fare well to the old boy who passed away.

Annette

Remembering all on ANZAC Day here in US...

Drummer