Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General sacked by Haig

PhilB

This is from an article by Alan Clark, not a Haig fan:-

Haig's own colleagues were imprisoned by their hierarchic loyalties and nervousness about their own careers (one Army commander was sacked by Haig for retreating under a gas attack, even though his men had not been issued with gas masks).

The late Alan Clark was Member of Parliament for Kensington & Chelsea, a former Minister of Defence and a military historian.

Was a general sacked in these circumstances and, if so, who was he? Phil B

The late Alan Clark was Member of Parliament for Kensington & Chelsea, a former Minister of Defence and a military historian.

I would agree with two out of three but many would argue whether he was a "historian".

Tend to agree with Jonathan on that one!

Personally I would question the veracity of the Clark comment, my reasons as follows:

If Haig sacked an 'Army Commander' it would have to be after 1-1-16 when he took over from French.

Gas masks had been issued to all troops for the Loos attack in 1915, so I feel it is unlikely that there were troops out here after 1916 without a gas mask.

The only Army Commander I can think of as being 'sacked' was Gough after the March 1918 retreat. Perhaps Clark menat a Corps or Divisional commander- certainly enough of them were given 'an interview without coffee'.....

However I will be happy to hear other comments from the forum....

With out checking I feel safe to say absolute bo**ocks!

If its corps commader still feel same if lower maybe, but then you would have to question the authors accuracy of writing!

regards

Arm

However I will be happy to hear other comments from the forum....

Not from me you won't. Gough was the only one removed, Allenby was side stepped and up but not all if any of Haig's doing. So no validity in Clarke's statement.

regards

Arm

It's a garbled version of the dismissal of Smith Dorrien as GOC 2nd Army by French for advocating withdrawal at 2nd Ypres in May 1915 which his replacement Plumer then carried out.