Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Empire Services League.

Simon Furnell

Evening all.

I have had my eye on a book in my local,old,bookshop,for about the last month,and finally plucked up the courage to pay the double figure price for it.

My birthday present from my wife,so i told her!

It is not so much a book,as more of a type of personal organiser,with an address book in the centre and key dates of the war produced on a month to month basis.

The book is called,Lest We Forget,and was produced by The British Empire Service League.

The patron of the league was H.R.H The Prince Of Wales,later Edward the 8th,and the grand president was Earl Haig.

In his letter to members,he writes on the advantages of sportmanship,and in closing wishes,"all possible happiness in the New Year 1925- to every ex-service man".

It is a fascinating thing and has pictures and signatures(although not original,i believe)of H.R.H The Prince Of Wales,Prime Minister Baldwin,Earl Haig,Admiral Beatty and a few others.

I had never heard of The British Empire Service League,so does anybody have anymore information on this association?

The other thing that struck me,is the fact that the book cost a guinea,which surely would have been well out of the range of the spare cash of your average,British soldier.

Was this an officers only club?

Look forward to hearing more.

All the best.

Simon.

Many thanks Dave.

That clears it all up a bit.

I take it that this association is still going,after all these years.

I will check up on the web and see if i can find them.

Thanks again,Dave.

All the best.

Simon.