Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3/5th Lincolns

Guest Tanner188

Guest Tanner188

Hello

Just found some details on a relative who was a late entrant with the Lincolns. He allegedly went to Ireland and was there for the 1916 Uprising.

Could any of the well versed experts on the Lincolnshire Regiment Terrior units enlighten me with details of arrival, places they were billeted, and any notable actions or what they got upto while they were there. His service records are not available, though he has papers kept by a grandchild which give the numbers 3/5 as his unit.

I am hoping for some photos to surface at my Grans house, when she gets around to having a look.

Thanks, in anticipation.

Rick

Hi Rick,

According the Simpson (who wrote the Lincolns Regimental History) the 3/5th didn't serve abroad. Is it possible that he served with the 2/5th battalion which did serve in Ireland during the easter rising?

Jim

PS-If you add relative's name and number, I'm sure Steve Bramley or Chris Bailey might be able to offer some insight.

Guest Tanner188

Sir

I am pretty sure he was 3/5 though I suppose he could have been with one unit and transferred accross.

I will take a closer look at the large photo of one of the companies we have, all the men seated and stood for a photo and it says on the front Ireland.

Cheers

Rick

Theres a possibility that although enlisted with the Lincolns he actually served with the 2/6th North Staffs. There is quite a few who took this route .

His number may be of assistance here.

Roop

Rick,

The 3/5th was the reserve for the 1/5th and 2/5th, supplying drafts to both. The 2/5th went to Ireland and played a small part in the uprising (Only B Company, as far as I know). They went to France in Feb 1917.

Roop could also be correct. Let us know if you find out anymore,

Regards,

Steve.

P.S. What was your man's name, if you don't mind me asking?

Guest Tanner188
Rick,

The 3/5th was the reserve for the 1/5th and 2/5th, supplying drafts to both. The 2/5th went to Ireland and played a small part in the uprising (Only B Company, as far as I know). They went to France in Feb 1917.

Roop could also be correct. Let us know if you find out anymore,

Regards,

Steve.

P.S. What was your man's name, if you don't mind me asking?

SB

His name was Stan Bentley a Pte numbered 201628, a man from Lincoln itself.

The group photo says Fermoy and it is 'A' company from what I can remember.

Rick

Hi Rick,

This throws the cat among the pidgeons a little bit! Stanley John Bentley's service number is for the 4th Battalion, and as he was a Lincoln man, this makes sense. He did serve abroad as he has a Medal Index Card:

MIC

Hopefully Jim or Roop will see this reply and be able to offer an enlistment date.

An equivalent man with a 5th Battalion number (241629, Fred Robinson 1/5th) enlisted on 08.12.1915. Notice that the 5th Battalion '6 Digit' numbers are prefixed 24. Both battalions were renumbered in 1917 to avoid confusion!, as prior to this the 4th and 5th had the same 4 digit numbers. Fred Robinson was 4928.

This is bl**dy confusing, I know :huh:

Stanley would have had a 4 digit number (I think), even though it is not on his MIC but it doesn't mean it would have been 4927, but I think somewhere around this, bit difficult to explain briefly.

His 6 digit number certainly makes it possible that he enlisted in time to be posted to Ireland, with either 2/5th or 2/4th and then on to France, thats my guess anyway ;)

Cheers,

Steve

Guest Tanner188

Steve

The re-numbering of 1917 has crossed and confused me before, as you will learn.

On the back of the photo is scribbled a four digit number crossed out, cannot think what it was now. Will check it out when I get home.

Rick

To be in Ireland he would have to be with 59th Division which would mean any of this mob as Steve has said:

1/4th Bn, the Lincolns

2/4th Bn, the Lincolns

2/5th Bn, the Lincolns

His number does not ring any bells here but JD may be able to narrow it down a bit.

Roop

Don't have all my 4th Lincs stuff downloaded to the new computer but would ball park his four digit service number to around 4591-4595 with an enlistment of the last week of July 1915. Think I actually do have his exact 4 digit number floating around as well.

1/4th Lincs didn't serve in Ireland, they joined 59th Division in 1918, having been on the WF since March 1915.

Jim