Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Upper age limit for soldiers,

Chunkeroo

Hi All

I am checking out a chap called Charlie White who served in the Royal Engineers. I have a de-mob photo of him in uniform showing his rank as sergeant. The thing is I know he was born in 1868, making him at least 46 when war broke out. Is this unusual for a man of this age to enlist. Checking the medal rolls, I came across only one Charles White with the service number 161818. Does this number suggest he joined later on in the war?

Cheers

Clare

Hi Clare;

His age is not that unusual,{A Forum Search for "Oldest" will reveal a number of similar threads including one as recent as a day or so ago}many reservists & NCOs were of that sort of Age & older.

The 6 Figure number suggests a TF Man,who didnt go Overseas until after 1916,rather than a later enlistment,& was re~numbered before going O/S,{again many TF Men didnt volunteer to go Overseas directly,as they had no obligation to so do}

Hi Clare;

His age is not that unusual,{A Forum Search for "Oldest" will reveal a number of similar threads including one as recent as a day or so ago}many reservists & NCOs were of that sort of Age & older.

The 6 Figure number suggests a TF Man,who didnt go Overseas until after 1916,rather than a later enlistment,& was re~numbered before going O/S,{again many TF Men didnt volunteer to go Overseas directly,as they had no obligation to so do}

Thanks Harry

If he was a reservist, do you think I should look for pre-war service?

Clare

Hi Clare

I believe we've been in contact before haven't we? How's the research into the soldiers of Great Rissington going?

The Charlie White in question was my Great Grandfather, however, as the family never really spoke much about it, his military service has proven somewhat difficult to track down.

As yet I haven't got any further than you it would seem, the Charles White you have found in the MIC's online is the same one that I've assumed is him, it's the only one that seems to fit the criteria that I know, i.e. a Serjeant in the Royal Engineers. Dad remembers seeing a photograph of his Grandad working on the Railways during the war (although he can't remember where he saw it :( ) so the change in service number from 161818 to WR/255330 also seems to fit the known.

As far as we're aware he wasn't a Reservist and didn't have any pre-war military service, although I suppose he could have been a Territorial, I'll see if I can glean any other information out of Dad.

Regards

Steve

Hi Clare

I believe we've been in contact before haven't we? How's the research into the soldiers of Great Rissington going?

The Charlie White in question was my Great Grandfather, however, as the family never really spoke much about it, his military service has proven somewhat difficult to track down.

As yet I haven't got any further than you it would seem, the Charles White you have found in the MIC's online is the same one that I've assumed is him, it's the only one that seems to fit the criteria that I know, i.e. a Serjeant in the Royal Engineers. Dad remembers seeing a photograph of his Grandad working on the Railways during the war (although he can't remember where he saw it :( ) so the change in service number from 161818 to WR/255330 also seems to fit the known.

As far as we're aware he wasn't a Reservist and didn't have any pre-war military service, although I suppose he could have been a Territorial, I'll see if I can glean any other information out of Dad.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Great to hear from you. I have emailed you direct for an update, I expect you've got it by now. Yes, I'm still plodding away with the book. Got some great leads recently and am checking these out. If you can come up with any more info on Charles I'd be grateful. What did he do after the war?

Regards

Clare

If he had been a prewar Regular @ any time then it might be worth looking into the Possibility of previous Regular service,if however a Prewar Terrier{TF/Volunteer}then Service would normally be limited to Home service{though a few volunteer "Volunteer Companies" Served in SA 1899~1902,attached to Regular Battalions,& The Imperial Yeomanry fielded many hundreds of Volunteers}

Clare

I have emailed you direct for an update, I expect you've got it by now.

Afraid not, no email received, do you want to resend it?

Changing the subject slightly but still on Great Rissington soldiers, are you aware that Charles White and Oliver Porter were Brothers-in-Law?, Charles had married Oliver's elder sister Edith Annie.

Steve