Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service papers interpretation

Chunkeroo

Hello All

I have the service papers of 13805 Frank Bartlett 12th Hampshires. He served in Salonika and was hospitalised with dysentry in 1916. Enrty on papers as below:

Admitted to 43rd General Hospital Salonika with dysentry on 1st October 1916.

Hospital ship Herefordshire 9th October 1916.

Transferred to Imtarfa Hospital in Malta 13th.

20th December 1916 granted pp class II field.

Anyone know what the last entry means?

Cheers

Clare

Hello,

I wonder if it's Field Punishment number 2 ? It's a common punishment handed out during the war. just a thought.

Regards,

Stewart

Not sure you'd be granted a punishment.

Possibly "Proficiency Pay Class II"

Steve,

Hello

more likely to be granted proficiency pay - cant think that "granted" field punishment would make sense - why would you "grant" it ?

Does it def say "pp" not a "fp" ? the old writing is hard to decipher, Would rule out field punishment

Ian

Proficiency Pay from my experience.

Hope he survived the dysentry.

Definately says

20/12/17 Granted P.P. Class II from C.O. in the Field on 5/9/16 O1810

Would the 'O' stand for order as in Army Order?

Clare

Clare

O 1810 was an Army form which was required to be submitted under Army Order 149 of 1914 in respect of Proficiency Pay under the the Pay Warrant. This said:

"Army Form form O 1614 will be rendered in support of all first charges and for all restorations except for those cases in which proficiency pay has has been forfeited by men readmitted to hospital solely for the administration of a dose of salveson when the restorations will be supported by an entry on Army Form O 1810."

Para 1063 ( c ) of the Pay Warrant says:

"In order to become eligible for proficiency pay, a soldier of whatever rank must be .....in all respects capable of performing the duties of his rank of the service to which he belongs."

In short, Frank Bartlett lost his proficiency pay because he had contracted Syphallis. "Salveson" was an organic anti-syphallitic treatment introduced in 1910. His Commanding Officer (CO), was required to fill in the above form on reinstating his proficiency pay whilst he was receiving the Salveson treatment.

Terry Reeves

Crikey! Better leave that out of my book. I don't want to offend anyone. Thanks for the interpretation. Poor old Frank!

Clare

Clare

Just noticed, it was also used for treating Trypanosmiaosis (or sleeping sickness). This was contracted by being bitten by the tstse fly, not sure that this was present in Salonika though. It may be that it was used for other diseases other than Syphallis. Is there a doctor in the house?

Terry Reeves

Terry

Thanks for that! He did have Malaria at the time, so maybe it was for this. I like that better than Syphillis anyway!

Clare