Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Harry James Alexander

pjaf

Please can anybody help. I have just started to try and trace my great grandfathers army history. So far the details I have managed to get are:

Joined with the Army service corps as a driver in 1914 service number T/4/056511. Towards the end of 1915 he transferred to the Kings own Royal Lancaster with the number 28677 and served with the 2nd/5th battalion. Between 1915 and 1917 we believe that he was wounded and left for dead but was told by a great aunt that he was rescued by his friend with the surname of Wiseman. We do not know where he was injured or which hospital he was at.

If anyone can fill in any of the blanks or can give any further advise or information it would be very much appreciated

many thanks

pjaf

Hello

Welcome to the forum

The best place to get details is the National archives in kew, London

T4 is an Army service corps prefix meaning Auxillary Horse Transport

and here are some Wisemans..could be one of them ?!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...=1&mediaarray=*

Ian

Hello Ian

Many thanks for that we were getting a bit confused because of the 2 differrnt service numbers. Received some information from the Kings own royal Museum but they could not give a date as to when he joined up or what exactly he was doing in the ASC.

All help is great

Thanks again

pjaf

Hello

the medal roll at the NA might tell you the date of transfer

if he was wounded he might have a silver war badge, if so, the medal idex card (have you checked it) might tell you when he joined, or the SWB roll will

Ian

pjaf,that would be sgt j.o wiseman,he was the only man by that name to serve in the 2/5th,he was in D.COY,army No3367,your grandfather must have joined the battalion after january 1917 because hes not in the nominal roll of those who went over in january,bernard

Ian

Thank you for the info. Went on to the National Archives and now have a copy of Medal card. As I am new to this and do not know alot about the army please could you explain what SWB roll is and where I could access it.

Many thanks

pjaf

Hello Bernard

Thank you for the information on Sgt Wiseman. I have had an email from the Kings own Museum but still didn't make it clear whether he was injured with Kings own Royal Lancaster. They think it might have been before he joined the 2nd/5th and all I know is that he joined up with ASC. Please could you let me know where I would need to go to see Nominal roll and do you know whether there are records of soldiers injuries and which hospital they would have been treated at.

Many thanks for your help

pjaf