Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Audio Books about the Great War

Garde Grenadier

I'v already got several audio books on the Great War or set in it:

e.g.

All quiet on the Western Front (read by Simon Calburn).

Richard Holmes: The Western Front.

Poets of the Great War.

Letters from a Lost Generation.

The Thirty-Nine Steps.

Is there possibly any other cassette, especially full-cast dramatisation I haven't come across?

Any suggestions will be most welcome

Thanks

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The Imperial War Museum sell a cassette entitled 'The great War Remembered', which is a collection extracted from their oral history archive, covering a range of frontline and home front experiences, priced £5.99.

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of my town library I have listened to: Tuchman's "Gun of August", "The Zimmerman Telegram" and her bio of Stillwell (which covers his Great War). They were all good. As was Sebastian Faulks' "Birdsong".

Rob

There was tape which came out sometime ago of First World War Poetry recited by Brian Blessed ( Him from Z Cars) never managed to get a copy, so cannot recommend it or otherwise.

If you like Buchan then 'Greenmantle the follow up to '39 steps' is also available and whilst not solely a WW1 book 'To serve them all my days' by R F Delderfield is also around though i believe in two volumes. For the uninitiated it follows a man returning from the Western Front who is given a job in a remote school and how his life adapts and developes through twenty years upto 1940 or so.

Arm.

Hi Daniel,

The Horizon by Douglas Reeman is quite good,its about the Royal Marines at Gallipolli and then on the Western Front.

Stu.

Thank you, everybody, for all the suggestions.

Any idea about full-cast dramatized versions?

If I'm not mistaken BBC radio sometimes put an "Afternoon Play" of that sort on (especially around Remembrance Day).

Any further ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks again

Daniel