Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Using Aliases - CEF

SMG65

I have a relative whose name was Daniel Paul Moore, who used the alias Patrick Moore.

I know it is not unusual for a soldier to use an alias, and on his service papers with the Canadian Expeditionary Force he uses the name Patrick Moore.

However on the 'Proceedings For Discharge' document it states that Patrick is an alias for Daniel Paul and on the index sheet for his Regimental Documents it has been handwritten 'Correct Name As Per Affidavit - Daniel Paul Moore'

So why would a soldier in his twenties use an alias and why would he have to declare his real name on his Discharge Sheet after using Patrick Moore on all his other papers?

Sean

Hello

I have some medals to a chap who changed with name/details several times, in fact, everytime he joined the details changed slightly. He only came clean to collect his pension :lol:

Cant think why he needed to lie. One example was that (after years in the army) his stated occupation was to do with ships! What use was that if he was in the cavalry ?

Ian

The reasons are the same as today; leaving a relationship and family responsibilities, problems with financial affairs, legal problems, a criminal past or just a wish to make a "clean-start". One fellow even won the Victoria Cross under an alias and was required to re-state his correct name and past upon receiving the reward.

Borden Battery