Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R N Service records

SuziejMartin

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help please?

I have my Great Gramps Naval Records. I can understand some of it and have managed to find pictures of some of his ships but there are some things that I'm unclear about.

Albert Henry Welsh 342443

Where it says Occupation it reads - late Po 4 boy(1)

or - late Po 4 604(1)

In the badges column it reads - 2B on entry.

In the remarks column it reads - (1) Marine Services with [Engagement??]

N of 15.11.98. approves transfer to cooks mate from RM

If anyone can explain what these may mean I'd be really pleased.

Regards

Suzie

Albert Henry Welsh 342443

Where it says Occupation it reads - late Po 4 boy(1) or - late Po 4 604(1)

In the badges column it reads - 2B on entry.

It means that you have his Naval Records, but not his Records for his service in the Royal Marines Light Infantry :) and you have more research to do!

I interptret it to mean late PO (Portsmouth Division) number: 4604 and if so his RMLI record is on microfilm at Kew in ADM 159/8. His attestation papers may be in ADM 157, his discharge date being the date he entered the navy. Those again should be at Kew.

N of 15.11.98 was the Admiralty memo authorising his to transfer to serve as a Cooks Mate from the Royal Marines.

He already had 2 good conduct badges on entry into the navy, each one gave him extra pay. Does he have 'traced med' or medal on the papers?

Hello

Thank you for your help. I didn't realise that Albert was in the Royal Marines Light Infantry. Why do you suppose he wanted to transfer to the RN?

It reads - Tr medal 27.5.01 or 07 and underneath,Tr Pension24/3/14

Albert 'transferred to the RAN in 1912.

He reverted to RN in1918,when he became a C.P.O. Ck 4, until he left in 1921.

Do I need to go to Kew to view the microfilm and to see hisattestation papers?

I really appreciate your help

Suzie

Hello,

I suppose he discovered that he had culinary skills! It also gave him the oportunity to progress further than he might have done in the Corps.

(Long Service Good Conduct) Medal in 1907 seems more likely, they were granted after a minimum of 15 years. 22 years adult service qualified him for a pension, so pension in 1914 fits with the medal in 1907 and means that his adult service started in 1892 (when he was 18), but he could have been in the RMLI before then.

Btw have you looked to see if he served in the Boer War, China or any of the colonial wars. That a case of cross referencing the ships with 'British Battles and Medals' at the library.

You guessed it RM records are not online, neither are the attestation papers.

Hello

Thankyou for all of the help that I have received from members of this site.

I will carry on searching ....

Cheers

Susie

Susie,

Just a thought on why he transferred to cook...... RMLI private was on 1 shilling and 5 pence. A Cooks Mate 2 shillings, good pay rise?

Regards Charles

Hello Charles

Yes, I think you may well be right, especially as his first son arrived not long after!

Susie

It looks like he was not alone in moving from the Corps to the domestic branch at the time as his continuation sheet is tacked on to another former PO Marine.

He was a bugler before transfer, that might also have had a bearing on it. Easier to make a career break/ change at the point when he probably when he needed to swap to private. If it was only the pay there would not have been a Corps left!

You don’t get owt for nowt.

A RMLI Bugler was still only on 1/5 but it was hard work to become a cook here is the rules early 20th Century.

Regards Charles

post-7039-1146006486.jpg

I cannot believe just how kind you chaps are, I am absolutely amazed and delighted with the information that you have taken the trouble to share with me. It has quite made my day! My Auntie Joan (age 80) will be so pleased when I report in to her. She has given me so much help to find out about my Great Gramps, I was 2 when he died but It's nice to feel that I'm getting to know him.

Cheers for now

Susie

Albert Henry Welsh with his family about 1920ish

Sorry, can't seem to work out how to add photo!! Will work on it.

Hello,

I suppose he discovered that he had culinary skills! It also gave him the oportunity to progress further than he might have done in the Corps.

(Long Service Good Conduct) Medal in 1907 seems more likely, they were granted after a minimum of 15 years. 22 years adult service qualified him for a pension, so pension in 1914 fits with the medal in 1907 and means that his adult service started in 1892 (when he was 18), but he could have been in the RMLI before then.

Btw have you looked to see if he served in the Boer War, China or any of the colonial wars. That a case of cross referencing the ships with 'British Battles and Medals' at the library.

You guessed it RM records are not online, neither are the attestation papers.

His attestation papers may be held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton, although I am aware that there are large gaps in the papers of the Portsmouth Marines