Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Battallion Lincolnshire Regiment

Jimothy

Any lincs Regiment experts know what the boys were doing at the ed of April 1918? My relative was with them and died on the 29th, he is buried at Doullens.

Simpson records this:

The 7th Lincolnshire were last mentioned on the 5th of April at Mirvfaux. They did not return to the front lint until the 15th, when the 17th Division relieved the 63rd Division in the line Aveluy Wood-Mesnil, the battalion taking over the line from the Artists' Rifles. On that date 2nd Lt T. Penn and two other ranks were killed and 14 other ranks wounded. The enemy were active and before the Lincolnshire were relived on the 30th they had lost many men.

From what I seen of the war diaries of other Lincs battalions (2nd, 1/4th 8th) Simpson pretty much quotes the the diaries adding a little here and there.

Jim

Thanks very much for this, Jim.

The man I'm interested died on 29 April 1918. If the battalion was at Aveluy-Mesnil why would he be buried at Doullens? does anyone have any suggestions as to how can I find out if he was kia or died of wounds as this discrepancy in location might suggest?

Ask someone to check Soldiers Died which should show with dow or kia. Will possible also show place of birth, residence and enlistment

jim