Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Halifax

bart592

Does anybody know ?

Are there any photographs or pictures of the French ship Mont Blanc before the Explosion in Halifax

Bart

an interesting site, and it makes an interesting claim which may be false: to say it was biggest man-made explosion before atomic bomb leaves aside the destruction of the bomb dump at RAF Fauld in November 1944, which certainly grossed more HE and, being of a later generation, was probably more powerful.

RAF Fauld in November 1944, which certainly grossed more HE and, being of a later generation, was probably more powerful.

But did Fauld cause as much loss of life and utter devastation to a city?

Surely if 1900 died in the Halifax explosion, would this be the biggest loss of life from a single non-nuclear explosion, even if the amount of explosive material was larger in some cases? Could the casualties in some the mine explosions on the Western Front such as Lochnagar [La Boiselle] have been more - I've seen differing estimates. And I have a vague idea that there was a munitions ship explosion in the Far East in WW2 that caused huge loss of life.

Adrian

But did Fauld cause as much loss of life and utter devastation to a city?

No, certainly not: but I am interested in big bangs ....... one might as well claim Passchendaele as causing more loss of life or devastation of a huge area: not logical. My guess is that the people making claims for Halifax discovered Fauld and added a clause about devastation and casualties!

Mind you, Fauld altered the Geography in a big way, I expect some of the rocks are still in orbit.