Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

service record

Guest kenneth mcarthur

Guest kenneth mcarthur

hi, I have posted this document before(sorry to all those who have already seen it!)can anyone tell me if my grandfather had anymedal entitlement ? or is there still a medal card out there.

Now it has to be said,yes ! we know he was a little rogue lol ! yes he was probably on the run (or fighting)more than he was at sea lol!he appeared to go through life with not so much a chip on his shoulder but a ' bag of spuds !' any help would be appreciated!

regards,

alex

post-10270-1145781523.jpg

In theory he was eligible for a 1914/15 trio, but it looks like they declared him ineligible for a war gratuity, I'm not sure it meant he was ineligible for medals. If they were issued it will be shown on the medal roll in ADM 171 at Kew. There were not medal index cards for naval medals.

The medal roll is in adm 171/94.

Guest kenneth mcarthur
In theory he was eligible for a 1914/15 trio, but it looks like they declared him ineligible for a war gratuity, I'm not sure it meant he was ineligible for medals. If they were issued it will be shown on the medal roll in ADM 171 at Kew. There were not medal index cards for naval medals.

Ahhh.....that's where I've been going wrong.......I've been looking for a medal index card!!cheers pal

many thanks

alex

Alex

I bet grandad was the talk of the ship! 90 days Hard Labour would not have been 'Fun' in those days, these days either come to think of it

It seems to have been something in Sept 16 that changed his write up from 'Very Good' 'Satisfactory' to 'Indifferent' and have a punishment warrant raised then back to VG. In my service time I only new one SNLR

(Services No Longer Required) bet he was good fun on a night out ashore though.

Dave

Guest kenneth mcarthur

dave,the old sod insisted that it was the best day's of his life !!his record will give some indication of his character,he went on to open fruit 'n' veg shop in glasgows south side.You mentioned 1916......yes he had met my grandmother and wanted to leave and get married,he did this on the run during 1917! remember they had to arrange everything month's in advance,they had a total of 11 children and then he left mygran for a younger model!.......the rest is unknown(thank god)

alex

Alex,

He wasn’t entitled to the war gratuity because he was dismissed the service for misconduct. He was still entitled to his war medals. But sad to say he wasn’t going to get the Long Service and Good Conduct medal?

Regards Charles

He didn't even get 1 good cunduct badge and was out on his ear less than half way through his 12 years!

I've seen 'runs' issued with medals and others who forfeited them, without knowing all the regulations that he may have infringed I'm not sure whether he got to keep his. So the medal roll is the place to look to get the correct information.