Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Were the Gordons ever Garrisoned here?

Guest youngone

Guest youngone

Hi,

I recently came accross an old standard military issue bible from WW1 but was puzzled at the lettering along the side of the pages. It had been stamped with: 'Howner Garrsion Church - Gosport'. As this bible turned up along with a collection of items belonging to a Pte. A. Anderson of the 8/10th battalion Gordon Highlanders, were they ever stationed there and could anyone tell me where it is ??

many thanks

youngone.

Hi youngone.

I only know of Rowner in Gosport. I believe the Royal Navy still occupy Fort Rowner which is on the opposite side of the road to Fort Grange.

Does this help? Cant comment on the Gordons - sorry!

Rowner Garrison Church was a 'Tin Tabernacle' see this pic.

Yes the RN does own Forts Grange and Rowner but they are both on the same side of Military Road (on the school side of HMS Sultan). I did my apprenticeship there and remember one of the duties was to patrol the forts with a night stick. I'm sure any potential attacker would have been put off by the sight of a 17 year old with a rounders bat!

Mick

Graeme

On the other side of the road is the accommodation area for Sultan. The two forts are on the extremes of the training area. As you look down Military Road towards the Cocked Hat pub (south), the training area and forts are on the right with the accomm on the left.

Mick