Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

how can i find where g grandad fought?

vicki

hi been tracing my great grandads war career unfortunataly his service papers were distroyed during ww2 was wondering if there was any other way of confirming where he fought and where he was gassed? i know where his battalion was during most of the war but how do i place my g grandad there? any ideas would be greatfully recived thanks vicki

If you post his name, rank, number and the regiment you think he has in I'm sure there are member of this forum who will be willing and able to help.

Regards

Neil.

Vicki

If you post his name ,rank,number and regiment i am sure one of the pals will be able to help.

Regards Kevin

Neil you beat me. :D

Regards Kevin

PS must improve typing speed

his name was edwin joy preece he fought with 1/4th kings own yorkshire light infantry his service number was 200037 he joined up july (i think) 1914 was demobbed sometime 1920 hope this make things abit easier thanks vicki

Hi Vicki

If you don't have the service papers, then things become more difficult. The way forward then is what I term "parallel research" - research everything around Edwin Preece. You know he was in 1/4th KOYLI. His Medal Index Card (downloadable from the National Archives site) MIC Preece

will give you the date he disembarked on active service (1/4 KOYLI landed in France 12/04/15 - not necessarily the same date). Incidentally, his MIC gives his number as 20003, and also indicates he reached the rank of Sergeant.

Next will be to follow his battalion's progress through the war - The "History of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry" by Col. H. C. Wylly London 1926 (Naval & Military may well have a modern facsimile reprint) Volume 2 has the history of the 4th battalion between pp. 655-669. You should also refer to the War Diary - there should be one at the TNA and probably at the regiment's archives ( the Regimental Museum is in Doncaster Museum, and I believe the Archive is at Pontefract). A member of the forum might even have a copy.

Then the Archive should be able to help on books of memoirs by members of the battalion or the 49th Division (with which the battalion served). There may well be a regimental journal which may refer to the doings of the 1/4th. There may be personal reminiscences in the archive, or in the Peter Liddle collection at Leeds U, the Imperial War Museum Dept of Documents, the National Army Museum. Again the Archive should be able to point you in the right direction.

From all of this you should be able to build up an accurate picture of what the battalion did, interspersed with some more personal reminiscences.

Now come the crunch. If you have any documents at all from Edwin Preece, such as a letter or a postcard, or there is any verbal family history, try to correlate it with the battalion story. The major problem you face is trying to work out if Edwin Preece was wounded or gassed, when, and how long he was away from the battalion. But even if you are unable to pinpoint any part of his career, you will end up with a good idea of the part he could have played. Reading around the subject (not necessarily directly connected to 1/4th) will increase your understanding of his role in an infantry battalion.

I've no doubt other pals will come forward with some suggestions for you. Good luck in your research.

thank you for this information hope to find out alot more now i know where to luck vicki