Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed in tracking soldier and medals

Guest 19102

I should be grateful if anyone could help me to find any information relating to my great uncle (3rd):

JOHN DIXON DCM, MM

A/ Company Sergeant Major - 19102

2nd/5th Bn., Lancashire Fusiliers

Who died on Thursday 4th July 1918. Age 26.

Additional Information Son of Sarah J. Dixon, of Warrington, Lancs.

Cemetery: PERNES BRITISH CEMETERY, Pas de Calais, France

I have a photo of him with my great grandfather both in uniform.

I am trying to find out what he did to receive his medals and how he died. Basically as much information I can gain on him as possible.

I have already obtained his medal cards but have had difficulty finding any information on the London Gazette site.

We have also had difficulty tracking down his medals which my great uncle (deceased) told me had been donated to the Lancashire Regiment Museum. However there is no record of them in place.

If anyone has any ideas of how to track these down or any further ways of gaining more information on my great uncle. I would greatly appreciate it. I must point out that I am not trying to obtain the medals for myself but would love to see them or at least know where they are for my own piece of mind.

Thanks in anticipation.

A proud great nephew.

Hello, 19102.

Your great uncle will have three medals cards. One for his campaign medals, one for his DCM and one for his MM.

In addition to thelling us when the medals were announced in the Gazette, they will also tell us what unit he was in when he won them

He appears to have a number that one would associate with Regular or New Army battalions rather than the Territorial battalion that he died with. This may mean he transferred battalions, either before he went overseas, or as a result of wounds, etc.

Viewing the Medal Rolls at the National Archives should tell us what battalion he was with when he went overseas.

Here are the link to all three medal cards:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...=1&mediaarray=*

(In case you don't have all three)

Here is his Gazette entry for his MM:

London Gazette 3-6-1918

19102 Sjt. (A./C.S.M.) J. Dixon, Lancs. Fus. (Warrington).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

The medals was probably won somewhere around 3 months before it was published in the Gazette.

The announcement of his DCM:

LG 7-10-1918

19102 Sjt. (A./Coy. S./M.) J. Dixon, Lan. Fus (Warrington).

And the Citation:

LG 21-10-1918

19102 Sjt. (A./C.S.M.) J. Dixon, Lancs, Fus. (Warrington).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. This W.O. has shown cheerfulness and courage under fire, ably controlling the men with him. His disregard of danger and resource were an incentive to all.

Steve.

You have every right to be proud !

Your great uncle won his MM at Windy Corner on the 9th of April 1918

in the Defence of Givenchy. The day started at 4.15 AM under a heavy barrage from the Germans, with heavy doses of gas, very close fighting continued until 2 AM the following day the 2nd/5th "Doing much execution"

Battalion casualties being

3 Officers & 28 Other Ranks killed

3 Officers & 84 Other Ranks wounded

M.O. Taken Prisoner

25 Other Ranks missing.

A busy day all round one thinks!

Dave

Thank you both so much for that information which has made my day.

Where else can I find information on individual soldiers? I am only one of three remaining members of J Dixon's family who is interested in discovering his life. My direct great uncle (who was J Dixon's nephew) only had a small piece of information on him which was past on through my great uncles father. Some of this information has been lost over the years and some seems to be mis-informed. Is there any other way of finding out about my great uncles war history?

Usualy the best place to start is the Regimental Museum, usualy staffed by very helpful people, I'm sure they will have something for you, the local weekly newspaper for his home town should have something for a double gallantry award winner. Try here first.

The Lancashire Fusiliers Regimental Museum

Wellington Barracks

Bury

Lancs BL8 2PL.

(0161-7642208

Open Mon/tue--Thur/Fri/Sat 9:30-4:30

Regarding the medals you could put an add at 'Medal Finder. Com' it's

user friendly and you just never Know !

Dave.